17

Gunner Jackson

I don't know what provoked it, or why he gave in to it, but he did and it irritated me.

I watched both boys with bruises Ben was worse and Kaden, he was really trying not to but healing had already happened.

For detention I left them alone to paint the walls in the gym. Probably wasn't the best idea however I checked on them frequently.

The principal had told me that Kaden claims Ben bumped into him and that for me just wasn't okay. The first time I saw him beat a kid up for bumping into him, he had zero scratches. This time it felt different, mainly because he allowed himself to get hit and I really wanted to ask, but I wasn't sure how.

By the time they finished, both boys seemed completely done with themselves and each other. Ben was beyond exhausted and Kaden just seemed ready to leave and sleep. There was something off about it which only made me frown as I looked between them before dismissing them.

They left without another word. Kaden waited outside, he didn't say anything and played on his phone while I left. I felt him watch me get into my car before he went for his own. He followed me home, to make sure I got there before turning around and driving off.

So he was going to start making sure I got home now?

I made myself some popcorn hoping to watch something good when a knock came. I stood up too fast and as I reached the door I scowled at myself before opening to see my sister. I blinked feeling disappointed. Did I really want it to be Kaden right now?

"Wow, please, don't get excited, it's only me!" Gwen laughed stepping inside and I sighed.

"I'm sorry. It's been a day."

"I can see that. Your house smells like dog, is that why?" She gave me a knowing look, smirking and I flushed shaking my head.

"Stop having ideas."

"I'm not, your giving them to me."

I sighed following behind her. She sat, eating my popcorn and I pouted sitting beside her.

"So, how are you?" I asked her and she shrugged staring at my screen.

"Oh, you know, heavily fed, in need of a serious nap." I frowned at her tone as easy and sarcastic as it seemed I could tell she was exhausted however I knew she wouldn't say much for it.

"Where's Jade?"

"Market with Ashton."

"Then why are you not napping"

"I was hoping you'd lend me your bed?" She  pursed her lips and widened her eyes and I smiled.

"Anytime."

She kissed my cheek then. "Thanks."

While my sister took a nap I ate the rest of the popcorn and watched a movie, I tried to but my thoughts ran around one particular person. At some point I fell asleep on the couch, comfortable and dreamt of the sea. I saw myself swimming, free and happy and healthy and I saw a child, he was adorable, swimming with me.

My eyes fluttered in the darkness I woke up to. I lay there still trying to orientate myself when my sliding door opened. I tilted my head a bit to see who it was. I remember my sister having slept over and wondered if it were her. The silohette was far too tall and broad, the scent told me what I was looking at, or rather who.

I watched him from my place on the couch, laying on my stomach and yawning as he approached slowly before crouching down. I sat up then and stretched, leaning over for my lamp. I gasped at the bruises all over his face. I fell to my knees beside him and practical climbed on top of him to see and gently touch his face. It did not look like that earlier.