17 Hanging At Red Rivers*

The next morning I can't find anyone. Ari isn't in his room. EV is nowhere to be seen. Finding no one, I know I decide to go back to the rec room to waste some time.

It's empty in here. I guess everyone is at school. That Xbox is calling my name. A little GTA followed by some Assassins Creed, and finally, I'm playing Call of Duty when the room floods with people. A guy about my age flops on the couch beside me, taking a controller.

"Mind if I join?" He asks.

"Yeah, no problem, man." I tell him, and we start to play. A bunch of high schoolers are working on some math project and keep arguing. Honestly, it's getting irritating.

"You can't just use Tan on every problem!" One yells.

"Why not?" His friend responds.

"SOH, CAH, TOA! Do you even pay attention in class!?" The first responds. I'm tired of the yelling. I jump up and walk over to the table.

"He's right. You use Tan if you have the angle and either the side opposite or adjacent given, then you can find out the other side. If you have the hypotenuse, Tan is useless." I tell the guy then take his work sheet. "Use Tan here, Sin here and here, Cos here, here and here." I mark up his paper and hand it back.

"And why would I listen to you? What are you 8? Go back to elementary school and leave me alone." The guy growls snatching the paper.

"I'm 13, actually, nearly 14... but you know what? Don't listen to me. I'd kinda like to see you flunk Geometry. Enjoy taking it again as a junior." I tell him, and he scoffs.

"You're pretty smart, pup... what do you know about calculus?" A senior asks me.

"Let me see." I say, taking his book to see what problem he is having.

I go from Calculus over to a girl who needed help diagramming sentences. Then a guy asks for help with his physics work and so on until everyone is listening to me.

"Okay, so the best sense to trigger a memory is?" I ask the girl who wanted help with her psychology homework.

"Smell?" She answers like a question, and I nod.

"Because?" I ask, drawling out the word, and she shrugs. "The part of the brain that stores memory is located near the part that discerns smell. It's all a proximity thing." I explain.

It seems to have turned into a question Brayden party and honestly... I love it! Everyone wants to join in, and I'm the center of it all! I've never had so much fun with teenagers in my life!

"5,672." I answer another math problem.

"He's right!" Someone cheers.

"No way! He can't do that in his head!" Someone who just joined us calls out.

"How about history?... Who was the 25th president of the United States?" A girl reads from a textbook.

"William McKinley." I answer.

"What countries made up the Allies in WWII?" A boy asks, reading another book.

"Great Britain, US, China, and the Soviet Union... Axis was Germany, Japan, and Italy." I tell him.

"What else you got?!" I yell, spinning around the circle with a big grin. Man, I love this!

"According to Greek mythology, who is the god of thieves?" A boy asks.

"Hermes god of thieves, travelers, trade, messenger of the gods. Son of Zeus." I answer a little more than asked, but I'm on a roll.

"Brayden!" I hear someone call to me then see Lilly wave. I push through the crowd to meet her.