EPI 34

Twisting to the side, I was deluged in bewilderment. A fleeting look of surprise far greater than mine greeted me. Upon gazes collision, the pupils adorning that pair of dark grey eyes dilated, suggesting a significant amazement. However, I was more engrossed by the light growing hair spreading from the person's jawline, revealing the unfeminine layout. The sight couldn't spare me a doubt that he was a male.

Him, whatever he was, parted his lips. Albeit no words came out at first, the corner of his mouth lifted. "I'm sorry, did I startle you?" He finally spoke.

Was there another word to say I was more than shocked? I was stiffed in place until July appeared. She crouched next to me, wearing a concerned look.

"She just got a jump scare from the automation. You know those things glitches sometimes," she said while patting my shoulder.

Her lack of reaction towards the man was enough to tell me that it was somehow a normal occurrence; these men were now living among us. Despite still puzzled, I mustered a hum in response.

In return, I took in his growing grin. To say the least, his looks were alluring, especially while gracing the smile on his face.

"Yes, those things can be very unpleasant to look at sometime. Let me help you." He stood up, standing at what I assumed to be a level of Alfie, then he held out a hand to me.

At the corner of my eyes, July vaguely nodded, probably signalling me to take the man's offer. While hesitation slowed down my reaction, eventually I reached for his outstretched hand.

With a gentle pull from him, I was on my feet once more. Concurrently, I retracted, but my movement hindered since he was still holding on to my hand. Thankfully he noticed my unease and abruptly let go. A hint of guilt was masking his face.

Clearing his throat, he started again, "Let me introduce myself, my name is Thalaa. Do you need help with the thing?"

Before I could talk, July cut in. "Yes, please help her. I need to call the boss because we are late for work."

I was utterly speechless when the man made a gesture for me to walk back towards the service section. When I passed him, he followed me from behind. His cologne, which I could decipher as something oddly familiar was hovering in the air.

"Don't worry, this glass is thick. It won't break," he said while knocking a few times on the window.

Howbeit, my sternness wasn't prompted by the machine; I was uncomfortable with the proximity with him. It was different from what I felt around Alfie.

The 'thing' once again appeared and repeated its designated question. "How may I help you?"

"What will it be, Miss?" The man turned to me.

"I would like to open an account please," I replied with courtesy. Even though I was talking with a machine, I was used to the manner.

The machine seemed to understand my voice command. With rigid movement, it got up, a hand gesturing towards the tinted window. "Please follow the instructions," it said.

A video suddenly manifested, playing an animation sequence of steps to follow. Then a small hole opened up, just the right height for my shoulder. I stuck my whole arm inside as instructed and after a few low frequency thumping sounds and a tickle on my fingers, something rectangular fell on my palm.

I pulled my hand out and examined the card. It looked the same as July's; nothing could tell it apart.

"It's programmed with nexus, so it will only work with a registered fingerprint. Everyone can use the same card because the whole system is in a chain. The card identifies who holds it as the spender. But as a convenience, everyone can have a card for easy usage," the man suddenly spoke.