EPI 43

Exiting from sleep, the dim nightshade greeted me. A smile carved itself by the warm breath fanning the side of my neck. After looking at the awakening gleam through the blinds, I stirred. But the firm hand curled around my waist didn't permit any distance.

"Don't go." The husky-voiced owner lying next to me began, pulling my small body closer even though there weren't any space between us.

Gently, I caressed his face, "I can't, Alfie. Thalaa had visited twice, and July told him I'd come in today."

I had decided to confer Thalaa the proper pronunciation as it deemed right. Furthermore, I'd been appointing Alfie as human, disregarding his anatomy. It did not change what both of them were, and I wasn't in the right to judge; it was just a proper way of addressing.

A rumble reverberated from Alfie's chest, his face wearing a sheer frown. "From what I hear, Thalaa likes you."

"I don't understand," I deadpanned.

"What if you like this Thalaa back? I just-"

Adjusting my position, I snuggled into him, leaning my head to his bare chest. The sound of his heartbeat tuned in a beautiful rhythm. "Are you jealous?" I giggled.

"Yes, and I'm worried. July's plan sounded like a seduction to me."

If only Alfie knew how factual his words were, I doubted he would let me carry out the idea. July had proposed me to get as close as possible with Thalaa to scan his chip. The problem with it was, it needed direct contact with his shoulder. After twice meeting Thalaa, he had had a long sleeve coat on. So if the case persisted, there would be no other choice than to remove part of his clothes. Drugging him was to be involved, but for safety reasons, the whole play must at least looked natural.

"Then stay here, so July doesn't need to replicate the-" I trailed off, reevaluating the situation. With the chip, my Alfie would be able to move around and live at his fullest. I wanted him to have freedom. I realised that it wasn't just a one-time thing; it was for his future.

Coaxing him, I planted a kiss at the side of his chiselled jaw; a different approach I hoped would soften his heart. "I know I can't change your mind, and you can't change mine either. But I promise you will forever be the only one in my heart, " I enunciated.

Loosening the knit on his eyebrows, Alfie put on a weak smile. "I love you... so much, " he said. Before the word finished, he cupped my face and united our lips.

The kiss lingered for what felt so short but resulted in me breathless. I wished the air wasn't something necessary so we could remain in the state longer. When we parted, I was on his lap, straddling him. His beautiful brown eyes alluded his risqué desire which I couldn't circumvent. Coyly I nodded, and he didn't waste a second more to take me. Bliss and passion engulfed us, winning over right for time to spend.

***

"I can't be late!" I mumbled as I sprinted to the cafe. My hair was possibly dishevelled when I finally reached Reypal Brew's door. I wanted to blame it all on Alfie, but one hand couldn't make a clap, so I was some more guilty too. Luckily, the array of clocks surrounding the cafe announced my arrival was on time.

July who was wiping the counter chuckled at my sight. "My first theory on why you looked like you just ran the whole block would involve a certain someone. But I'm feeling happy today, so I'll spare you. Let's just say you miss the bus."

"Cut it out, July. She's clearly occupied with something," Ember commented.

A tinge of blush rose to my cheeks, remembering my reason to the ordeal. However, even indiscreet, I nodded. "I really did miss the bus."