xxvii. anger

TWENTY-SEVEN,
anger

TWENTY-SEVEN,anger

⋆

EVEN BEFORE THE world had come to an end, since the moment she began to walk, Ella had always found herself aching to get a taste of the fresh, outside air.

An example of this craving would have been all throughout her school years, which were, fortunately, cut short right as her middle school years began to bloom. After those painful hours of education, often she would find herself treading home in the blazing heat, only to stay outside when she got to her little house, where air conditioned walls were a mere few feet away. There was a practical reason for these actions, as her entire body simply loved the sun, and the way the radiating warm atmosphere would heat up her paler skin. Along with that, her two younger sisters, they would usually come home an hour or so later than her, due to their lower grade levels.

So, besides the longing to stay outside, her job as an older sibling would be to wait for the girls to arrive home, safely.

That may have been the reason why now, even several years after the dead had risen, Ella still preferred being outside, rather then in. It was beginning to feel stuffy inside their current refuge, specifically Gabriel's chapel, which he was naturally forced into letting them inhabit for the time being. With the majority of the adults gone though, and any remaining soul left to bother her occupied, she had been given an opportunity to slip outside of the white, wooden doors.

With the silence consuming the perimeter of the secluded church, Ella saw that as a somewhat good sign of her safety, while she was allowed some alone time. Of course, she wasn't exactly brave enough to wander off, knowing that nobody could hear her if she called for help, way out in the wilderness. Before, when they didn't have any form of shelter, she was often granted those few minutes of solitary, as the adults knew she was still in shouting range. With that not being the case anymore though, the girl could do nothing more than sit on the holy steps, right outside its matching pair of double doors.