Chapter 23

My eyes fluttered open. The sunlight made me wince as it hit my eyes so abruptly. My mind seemed fazed. I shuffled in the bed, tossing to my back as I rubbed at my eyes. My mouth was dry, and I was aching for something to eat. Just at the thought of food, my stomach twisted and I felt nauseous. Damn it! It was then that my mind reeled back to yesterday night....or should I say afternoon? Ashton and I had lied down and I sobbed my heart out. I remembered him telling me to rest and sleep as I said I was tired. I also remember him promising to wake me up after a few hours. Looks like he let me sleep all afternoon until today. I smiled slightly at his gesture. He knew I haven't been sleeping much, and he knew I've been stressed and tired, it was nice of him to do that. With that last thought in mind, I flung my legs over the bed's edge and pushed myself up heading to the door.

Chatters hit my ears as I descended down the stairs. I could tell it was Carol and Ashton. Walking to the kitchen, I could hear their voices and bits and pieces of their conversation.

"...talk to her. I think it's a good idea." That was Carol. Was she referring to me?

"...she'll say no...what...give it a go." That was Ashton.

I couldn't make out what he was really saying as his voice hushed into whispers and then it'd raise to normal.

Deciding to not eavesdrop on their conversation, I made my way into the kitchen. Both, mother and son, looked up at me. Carol smiled softly while Ashton looked at me with this deep gaze which caused my insides to flutter and my body to itch for his touch.

"Good morning," I managed to croak out, smiling at Carol.

"Morning honey," she chirped as she turned to pour me some tea and get me a plate of breakfast.

I walked further into the kitchen, making my way to Ashton. When I reached his side, he wrapped an arm around me and pulled me up onto his lap.

"Good morning," he whispered into my ear, placing a kiss on the side of my head.

"You didn't wake me up yesterday," I frowned at him.

"I thought it'd be a good idea to let you sleep," he shrugged.

I pecked his cheek and looked into his hazel orbs, "Thanks."

Ashton grinned at me, making my heart flutter at the happiness emanating from him at that moment.

"Here you go," Carol said, placing a plate of buttered toast and a cup of tea in front of me.

I thanked her and sipped at my tea. I snuggled into Ashton, yearning for his body's heat. He seemed to get my point, so he tightened his hold around me and pulled me closer to him, his lips close to my ear.

"Have you felt any nausea?" Carol asked as she watched me bite into my toast.

Shrugging, I took a sip of my tea to help me swallow it down.

"Not much," I answered her.

"Well that's good," Carol sighed. "I've got an early shift at the hospital today. Grandpa will be here for dinner."

Ashton nodded behind me, his eyes reaching his mother's as he gave her a knowing look. It was almost like they were communicating without letting out words. Maybe it's about what they were discussing before I interrupted.

"Okay then, I'm going to go change. Anna left early today. She went out with Aaron. You guys make sure to be here by dinner," Carol stated before leaving the kitchen.

I had just finished my plate of toast. I turned around a bit so I was sitting sideways, being able to look at Ashton's face.

"Don't you have a shift today?" I asked him curiously.