Chapter Thirty-Four

The head councilors of cabins one through twenty were all congregated around the ping pong tables. The room was stuffy and cramped, but Nico couldn't afford to care in the moment. He stood next to Chiron in front of everybody. Small chatter was exchanged between campers, but other than that, it was silent. The councilors were each gazing quizzically at him, but didn't say a word. They were still waiting for one more person. Nico hoped she would come. Though they weren't on the best of terms, she was an extraordinary fighter. They needed her help, whether he wanted to admit it or not.

"Is Annabeth going to show?" Katie Gardner asked worriedly to know one in particular. "I just saw her this morning. You don't think she's sick, do you?"

Thalia had her boots propped up on the ping pong table, legs crossed as she picked dirt out of her nails with a hunting knife. "She'll show. It's not like Annie to miss a meeting like this. Unless she has a good reason . . ." Thalia glanced over at Percy. Percy simply ignored her and continued his conversation with Sherman Yang.

Just then, the door to the room opened. Annabeth strolled through, chin raised high, not looking at anybody. She sat at the only vacant seat at the table, still not looking anyone in the eye. Only then was it completely silent. Nico shifted his eyes hesitantly to Percy. Percy, who had been staring at him, simply winked.

Chiron cleared his throat and the attention turned to him. Twenty pairs of eyes shifted to him. "It is not I who requested this meeting. Therefore, I now turn the floor to Nico."

Nico swallowed. He couldn't deny that he was nervous. But that hardly mattered. This was life or death. This was much bigger than Nico's anxiety.

"Thank you all for coming. As most of you might know, my father is not what we would consider an ally. I despise the guy myself. He has done nothing to warrant our trust. If anything, he will always be an threat to both us and the Olympians."

"Let 'em know, Neeks!" Leo chirped, raising his cup. Piper elbowed him hard in the ribs shortly afterward.

Nico shot him a look of contempt before continuing. "Last night, he came to me in a dream. He has threatened to slaughter two of our most capable fighters in the camp. Hades is on his way as we speak."

"Hades? What could he possibly want with us?" asked Piper.

"More importantly," added Sherman, "who has he targeted?"

"Percy and Jason," answered Nico.

The table erupted in chatter. Nearly everybody turned to their neighbors and discussed what was just said. Sherman snorted and leaned back in his chair, nudging Percy in the bicep. "Well ain't that just fan-freaking-tastic."

Pollux shifted in his seat. "Do you know the reason why he wants them dead, Nico?"

Nico's heart skipped a beat. He didn't want to tell everybody the real reason why he loathed them so much. Nico has been through enough embarrassment to last him a lifetime. "Hades has always had a particular grudge against Percy Jackson ever since he was twelve. As for Jason Grace, I'm not sure. Perhaps it's because he is the son of Zeus, one of Hades' worst foes."

"Or it could be because we're completely in love with each other and Hades doesn't want you to be happy?" said Jason innocently. "Just a thought, of course." Nico shot him a glare from the depths of the Underworld.

"I second that," piped in Percy.

Nico closed his eyes, praying to the gods to give him the strength not to murder them before Hades did.