Chapter 1

6 months later.....

Myersville Orphanage

Emmaline's POV

I have been at this orphanage for six months, now, and no one has adopted me. I was told that a family was coming to adopt me today. This woman, Miss Henderson, worked for the Oregon Department Of Children and Families, and spoke to the family on my behalf. They would be here soon, to sign the papers, so I would be in their custody.

"I know this has been a difficult time, Emmaline, but you will be placed in a foster home," said Miss Henderson. She took off her glasses, and rubbed the lens, with a tissue, and put them back on. "You have any questions?"

"Why did my parents have to die so soon?" I asked. "I want them back."

"Sweetie, you have to understand, that when people die, you'll never see them, again," Miss Henderson reasoned. "That's just part of life. But, rest assured, you will be with a loving family, that will provide love and support for you."

A man and a woman entered the orphanage. Miss Henderson advanced towards their direction. "Ah, Mr and Mrs Thompson!" she beamed, shaking their hands. "We been expecting you! Just sign these papers, and Emmaline is in your custody!"

"She could use some love!" said Mr. Thompson, signing the papers. "Done and done!" He looked to be in his 50s, as did Mrs. Thompson.

"Emmaline, come meet your new foster parents!" said Miss Henderson.

I walked towards them, with my suitcase, and just glared at them.

"Emmaline, this is Pam Thompson, and Charles Thompson!" said Miss Henderson.

"Hello, Emmaline!" beamed Pam, with a big smile. "Time to go to your new home!"

"You're not my real parents," I hissed.

"Of course not, we're gonna make you part of the family!" said Charles. "Lets go to the car, so you can put your suitcase in the trunk!"

I walked outside of the orphanage, and put my suitcase in the trunk of their car, which was a 1986 Cadillac Deville. I got in the back, and Charles drove to the foster home, where I would be staying from now on. I just stared out the window, at the passing trees on a lonely road.

I saw a sign that read Thompson Foster Home, and Charles pulled into the driveway. It was a big, brick house, with black tinted windows. There was ten of them. The address was 1791 Cunningham Rd. I hesitantly got out of the car, and got my suitcase. I walked inside, and saw two pool tables, a fireplace, a piano, a tv set in the living room, the kitchen, leather brown sofas, and some drawings on frames, lined in a row on the wall.

"Welcome to your new home, Emmaline!" said Pam. "Before you get settled in, we will give you a tour of the foster home!"

"A tour?" I scoffed. "This isn't a museum!"

"Please stow the attitude, okay?" demanded Charles. "I know this has been a rough time, but, we'd appreciate it, if you could be a bit more polite."

"Whatever," I said, rolling my eyes. "Go ahead, and play tour guide."

Ignoring my comment, they started to show me around. "As you can see, we have three bathrooms," said Charles. "So, if you're in a rush to school, you don't have to worry about anyone hogging the bathroom."

"Uh huh," I said.

"This is the Discipline Room," said Pam, turning on the light switch. "And this a shiny, brown casket. If anyone acts up, they get sent here, and have to be put in this casket. One of us would stay in here, until you are ready to come out. Depending on what you did wrong, you would be in the casket for a certain amount of minutes. Worse comes to worse, probably an hour, depending on the severity of your behavior."

"Okay?" I said, making it sound more like a question.

"This is your new room," said Charles. "Put your suitcase on the floor." I did as I was told, and the floor seemed rather comfortable, as I took off my blue Keds, and white socks, the soft floor, touching my feet. The wall was painted blue, and there was only one window, which faced the driveway.

"We will now go upstairs, so you can meet your foster sisters," said Pam. We walked into this room, where two girls, around my age, were dancing to techno music.

"Emmaline, meet Julie Martin, and Amanda Pearsons!" said Pam.

"Hello, Emmaline!" said Julia, cheerfully.

"It's so nice to meet you!" said Amanda, shaking my hand.

"Uh, sure," I said.

"Let's conclude this tour, by showing you another room!" said Charles. "Here, this the Stress Reliever Room! Whenever you feel stressed, you come in here, and punch this punching bag! Make sure to keep this door closed for privacy, so no one can disturb you!"

"Uh, okay," I said.

"Any questions?" asked Pam, flashing a bright smile.

"I'm pretty much all set," I replied.

"If you any questions, don't hesitate to ask!" said Charles. "Remember, we want to help you as much as we can!"

"Okay, I get it," I said.

"One last thing," added Pam. "We go to church on Sundays, so, just thought we let you know."

"Do I have to go to church?" I protested.

"Yes, you do!" said Pam.

"But, my parents never took me to church!"

"We will!" said Charlie. "Remember, God loves you, and cares about you!"

"Well, why did God take my parents away from me?"

"He didn't want them to be in any more pain, sweetie," said Pam, softly. "The church we attend is True Salvation Baptist Church."

"I am not going to church with you!" I snapped. And, you can't make me!"

"You're under our wing, now, and you will respect us!" demanded Charles. "You got that?"

"Yes, sir," I said.

"You don't want to end up the Discipline Room, do ya?" asked Pam.

"No, Ma'am."

"We will get you some clothes to wear for church, okay?" said Charles.

"Alright, fine!" I snapped. "Just leave me alone!" I stormed downstairs, to my room, and slammed the door. This just wasn't the same. I didn't want to be here. I wanted to be home, with my real mom and dad. I just decided to listen to some music on my I Pod. I was listening to some songs by pop music, and drifted into my own world, forgetting all about my foster family. Music was only escape, and I needed that right now.

A/N Hey, guys! What did you think of Emmaline's foster family? How do you think she is gonna adapt to her new environment? How will her behavior go from here? Don't be a silent reader! Please show some love, by voting, leaving feedback, and sharing this book! Thanks, guys! Love you all! ❤❤❤❤❤❤😘😘😘😘😘😘😘😘😘😘😘❤❤❤❤