Chapter 2

Emmaline's POV

I was lost into the world of music. Everything around me just disappeared, and I was living it up, as the beats of the pop music, were just such a welcome invitation. "I'm free!" I beamed. "Free at last!"

My musical fantasy came to an abrupt halt, when Julie came into my room. "Emmaline!" she said.

"Don't you ever knock?" I snapped.

"Sorry, I just wanted to see you!" said Julie, cheerfully.

"Well, I don't want to see you!" I said. "Will you go away?"

"I'm sorry for the loss of your parents," said Julie. "My parents were unfit to take care of me, because they drank a lot, and neglected me."

"I didn't ask for your life story, okay?" I snarled, losing my patience. "Beat it!"

"Don't you want to get to know me better?" asked Julie.

"How about I bust your lip?" I threatened.

"Pam, Charles, Emmaline just threatened me!" yelled Julie.

"Emmaline, what were you planning to do to Julie?" demanded Pam.

"I told her, I was gonna bust her lip, if she didn't leave me alone!" I protested.

"We don't threaten anyone here, Emmaline!" said Charles. "Dinner is almost ready!"

"I'm not hungry," I said.

"Emmaline, you need to eat," reasoned Pam. "Pasta is for dinner."

"I rather starve to death," I scoffed.

"You must eat, Emmaline!" said Charles.

"Fine, I'll eat!" I sighed, exasperated.

"Good, let's go to the kitchen," said Pam. I got up from my bed, and took my IPod with me. I sat down at the table, waiting to be served. Pam opened a jar of Prego meat sauce, poured it into the shells, and stirred.

"I can't wait to eat!" said Amanda.

"Me neither!" said Julie.

"There is Kraft parmesan cheese, if you want to sprinkle some on your shells," said Charles.

"I love lots of cheese on my pasta!" said Amanda. "I love the cheesy goodness!"

"Oh, brother," I muttered. Pam served us our dinner, and before we ate, she had us bow our heads, and close our eyes, and said grace.

"Dear Lord, we thank you for this wonderful food, we are about to eat, in Christ's name we pray, Amen."

"Amen," said Charles.

"Amen," said Julie.

"Amen," said Amanda.

"Amen," I said, rolling my eyes. These people were totally religious. I ate some of my shells, and drank some Pepsi.

"How's the pasta, Emmaline?" asked Charles, drinking his Pepsi.

"It's good," I said. "Can I have some parmesan cheese?"

"What's the magic word?" said Pam, reproachfully.

"Please?"

"That's better! Amanda, please pass the parmesan cheese to Emmaline!"

"Sure, here ya go, Emmaline!" beamed Amanda, giving me the parmesan cheese.

"Yeah, thanks," I said. I sprinkled some parmesan cheese on my shells.

"You go to school, yes?" asked Charles.

"Yes, okay?" I snapped.

"What's the name of the school?" asked Pam.