The New Kid and His Strange Obsession

How Claire had managed to wake me up, I don't know. But the next thing I did know, we were already walking to first period AP US History.

If I didn't share that class with Claire then I would be failing. She is a freakin genius! It takes her 10 minutes to memorize 30 vocabulary words from AP English and she can read the chapters from AP US History in about an hour while still remembering every fact!

We made our way to the front row of class where no one else sat. I felt less claustrophobic up front for some reason...

Since there was 5 minutes before class officially started, I decided to pull out my sketch book and work on the drawing I started two days ago.

It was of a dandelion. But not just any random dandelion. It was a very distinct one I stumbled upon the last time I had visited the meadow.

The dandelion was taller than all the others and even with its heavy head of orange petals, it managed to support and keep itself up straight. The small stem of a body was beat up and bruised giving me the impression that it had gone through a lot. And yet, it managed to stand tall and out grow all it's fellow comrades in the field.

"That's an impressive sketch!"

I jumped, not realizing anyone was watching me draw. I turned to the owner of the voice finding an unknown face beside me.

His eyes were a forest green. He had a strong facial build and hair the color of soft charcoal.

Those eyes... They were mesmerizing!

I hadn't realized that I had been gaping at his beautiful soul when he laughed and sat in the empty desk beside me.

"Where I come from, usually people reply with a 'thank you'", he grinned.

I couldn't hold back the blush that escaped my face.

"Thank you..."

He just smiled and turned to face the front of the classroom.

"Good morning, class!" Said Mr. Stuart.

"I hope you all studied and are ready for your chapter 31 quiz."

Of course I had studied, but these quizzes sucked balls! Only Claire could get 100% on every quiz and test.

I'd barely scratch by with a C-!

Mr. Stuart passed out the quiz packets and I began my test.

I couldn't focus on the questions because the new kid had decided to try the test out and was already bubbling in the answers.

Either he was good at b.s.ing his tests or he actually knew what he was doing. My bet was the first one.

I quickly returned my attention back to my test and circled my best choices.

While turning in the finished test Mr. Stuart asked, "How are you doing today, Lexi?"

"I'm doing alright..."

It was really nice that he asked me how I was doing every day, but sometimes I wish people didn't have to remind me that I was dying...

I gave him a weak smile and skulked over to my desk.

The new kid was tapping his fingers to a rhythm only he could hear. I watched him closely as he just continuously tapped and tapped. It wasn't annoying, actually, it was pretty amazing. He somehow knew how to tap each finger with a certain amount of force which allowed him to omit different tones.

I kept awkwardly staring until I saw that he noticed me watching.

He grinned and winked at me.

I rolled my eyes and couldn't help but blush.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~