34. A Lesson Understood

Natalia gazed intently at the diminutive woman standing before her. Master Mara's skin gleamed with a rich golden hue, which, together with her thick mane of brown hair, spoke of a distant tribal ancestry. However, her phoenix eyes and delicate features hinted at a more diverse lineage. Despite being of a similar age, the young Master carried herself with an air of authority that immediately commanded respect. And as she stood returning Natalia's curious stare, the Fire and Air swirled around her in a mesmerizing dance.

"Air claims the right to meet you first, as the older of the brothers. Fire is happy to be the last of all the Elements to meet you. He feels this will give him the most advantage." Mara's lips curved in a gentle smile as the shadow of Fire slowly faded away.

Mara pulled Natalia by her wrists to sit on a soft patch of grass before speaking again. "Air is omnipresent. It is the essence of life itself, for without it, all living beings would perish. It flows through every part of our bodies, providing what we need for survival that cannot be obtained from Earth or Water. Air can be gentle and caring, like a soft caress on the skin, or fierce and unrelenting, like a raging storm that tears apart everything in its path."

Mara used her speech as a centering technique, consolidating the power of Air around her. Natalia couldn't help but wonder at the stark contrast between this Master's magic and Paulo's. Paulo's abilities were subtle, like a whisper, while Mara's were brash and obvious, like a gale pounding against a mountain. Perhaps Paulo's mastery of disguise allowed him to conceal his abilities better than Mara, or maybe she didn't try. Natalia also thought that it could be the nature of the dominant Element in their magic. When all four elements are mixed in one Master, did one sculpt the magic more than the others?

"Unlike Earth or Water," Mara continued, bringing Natalia's wandering mind back to the test, "air cannot be contained. It is free to move wherever it pleases, yet it exists in every container, filling every space and providing us with the breath of life."

The grip on her wrist loosened, and Mara slid her hands into Natalia's.

"We should meet the brothers in the Mindspace. It would save Paulo the cleanup," Mara suggested with a half smile before gripping Natalia's hands more securely.

Mara's power surged through their hands like an electric current, but Natalia didn't need it. With practiced ease, she pulled her instructor into the Mindspace without using any of the mighty Master's magic. A flicker of surprise betrayed Mara's composure before she concealed it with a continuation of her words.

"He is anxious to meet you," Mara observed as her avatar began to fade. Natalia prepared to strengthen the connection, but Mara waved her hand dismissively. "Don't put too much into our connection. I need you to concentrate on the Brothers. I can be here in spirit if not in form. I am only here to supervise and help restrain Air if needed."

Natalia's hair brushed against her forehead as if a gentle breeze had picked up. But there was no wind in the Mind Space. Excitement welled up in her stomach for the appearance of the Elemental, but she needed to remain calm. She closed her eyes and focused on the air flowing in and out of her lungs as she deepened her breaths. The breeze rustling her hair strengthened, whipping it around her head in a frenzy.

"Sister," a voice whispered, prompting Natalia to open her eyes. A handsome young man stood before her. His long white hair flew around him as if alive. "You are finally here. We thought our sisters would keep you from us. But no, our friend has brought you. She is our favorite friend; it pleases us that she has brought you to us." The man reached out to Mara's form, and it solidified. The Master smiled and shook her head. Air laughed and looked back at Natalia, allowing Mara to fade. "She does not understand why you are our sister."