Chapter 18

LA MORTE D'ARTHUR

"How are you feeling Gwen?" Eowyn asked, concerned for her friends as they both gathered Morgana's clothes in a basket.

"It's hard to know that I will never see my father again... but I will live honouring his him and the great man he was," Gwen said as Eowyn side hugged her friend. It had been a few days already since Gwen's father's death. The blacksmith had been found guilty of treason for allegedly forging weapons for a sorcerer. But Gwen and the others knew it was false. But when magic was involved, Uther couldn't see senses. So he sentenced Gwen's father to death. Arthur convinced his father to gave the blacksmith a trial but he escaped and under Uther's order, the guards killed him on sight. Eowyn had spent her entire time with Gwen. She never left her side, making sure she had the support she needed. Gwen spent a few days at the Physician's chambers. She couldn't return to her home. It was too hard. So Gaius, Merlin and Eowyn gave them a shelter, a place to live.

"We're here for you if you need," Eowyn assured. "And you my Lady? I heard what happened,"

"I'm alright, Eowyn. Thank you for your concern," Morgana reassured as she stood up from her hairdresser and walked toward her two friends. "I was more shaken than injured," Morgana went through a lot two. She was sent in the dungeons by Uther after standing up against him and then they were attacked while they were visiting her father's grave. But no harm was done to the King and his ward. It was an emotional roller coaster for both Gwen and Morgana. Eowyn had been worry sick for her friends. She would try her best to keep them safe. They meant the world to her.

"I'm so glad you two are alright now. I don't know what I would do without you two," Eowyn truthfully said, touching both Morgana and Gwen who hugged her.

"It's the same for me. You both are dear friends of mine," Morgana softly said.

"I couldn't have dreamt of better friends," Gwen said, smiling.

Eowyn spent the morning with Morgana and Gwen. They talked, joked, laughed. But the sylphide had to go back to the Physician's chambers to help Gaius. Arthur and Merlin had came back from their hunting trip. When Eowyn saw them from Morgana's window, she noticed that seemed troubled. The apprentice physician would ask her brother when she would saw him.

Eowyn walked up the stairs to the Physician's chambers and entered the room. Gaius and Merlin seemed to be in a serious conversation.

"To face a beast such as this, you must understand where it came from," Gaius said, making Eowyn frown. Were they again being attacked?

"What beast?" Eowyn questioned, catching the attention of Gaius and Merlin as she made her way toward them.

"A beast, looking like a giant snake attacked us this morning," Merlin explained and quickly, worry took over Eowyn.

"Are you okay? You're not injured?" She frenetically asked, examining her brother.

"I'm okay, sister. But Sir Bedivere wasn't so lucky," Eowyn was saddened by the loss of another great knight. The beast seemed to be ferocious and deadly. It needed to be stopped.

"How do we stop it?" Eowyn asked Gaius.

"This is no ordinary beast. At the very heart of the Old Religion lies the magic of life and death itself. The Questing Beast carries that power. One bite, you die, and there is no cure," the physician explained, gravely, as Eowyn and Merlin shared an uncertain and worried look.

"There's nothing we can do against it?" Merlin asked.

"The beast is not immortal. A mortal strike and it would be dead. But you have to do it carefully without being bite by the beast," Merlin deeply inhaled. He looked more tensed and nervous. But why wouldn't be? Eowyn took her brother's hand in her and softly smiled at him.