Chapter 1

I gasp for air, the feeling of drowning leaving my body. I glance around and notice a boy next to me...well above me. "Hey help us!" He screams. I look around and notice I'm in some sort of cage. A moving cage. It's moving up. I can see a dim red light above us. The boy falls onto the ground, hard. *BUZZ* a loud noise comes from the cage. We share a look as the light above us turns green. Everything goes silent. All of a sudden, a bright light comes from above us. I block my eyes with my arm, trying to see what's out there. A group of boys come around the box. As more and more join the group, I can hear murmers. The crate above us opens and a boy hops down. "What the hell?" He says, staring at me. "A girl." All the boys gasp and step back. "Move." A boy says as he pushes past the others. He jumps into the crate, very gracefully might I add. He's blonde and tall. He's also skinny and dirty. His hair is ruffled and hasn't been cleaned in many days. And his clothes are covered in dirt, and their torn. I stand up fast, startling the two boys in the crate. Jumping out, I examine the group in front of me. There's a lot of them. Thirty something. I can outrun them. "What's your-" a boy touches my arm, and I take of running. I can hear footsteps behind me. With a quick glance I see the boy who was in the cage with me. He wasn't running after me, but running with me. I stare ahead Into the  forest. I hear a light thud behind me but I contine running until I reach the trees.

I hastily climb a tall tree. When I reach the top, I hold the branches tightly, watching the group of boys search for me. I watch as the boy who was with me is hauled away. My eyes roam, settling on the huge stone walls surrounding me. "Where the hell am I?" I mutter. "I see her!" I hear. Looking over, I see the group of boys looking at me and running to my tree. I slide down the tree just in time and dash into the clearing. "Woah!" I hear one of the boys yell as I sprint past him into some sort of hut. I look around for something, anything I can use and a weapon. Then I see it. A sword. I grab it and turn around to see the boys behind me. "Woah! Easy!" The blond boy said in a thick British accent. He held his hands up beside his head. "Who are you? Where am I?" I ask.
"If you put down that sword I can tell you."
I shake my head.
"Ok...I'm Newt and your in the glade."
"Glade?"
"Yeah. It's your new home."
I gasp and step closer, sword still drawn. "Why don't I remember anything?" I ask, trying to hide my fear. "It's ok, it happens to all of us. Listen, we don't want to hurt you. Put the sword down and let's talk." He says. Slowly, I put the sword down. He sighs and stares at me. "Ok. Come with me." He says. I follow him out of the hut and he takes me to a tall, dark coloured bald boy. "Alby. We found her." Newt says. Alby nods and looks at me. I look down to see the boy I was with in a pit made of stone. I stare at the boys around me with anger. I might not know who that boy was but he was with me. And he was just as scared as I was...am. I kneel down in front of the gate locking him into the pit. "Are you ok?" I whisper. He nods. "What is a 'glade?'" I ask, turning the l face the bald boy. "Let me show you."

"We eat here, sleep here, grow our own food here. Whatever we need, the box provides. The rest is up to us." Alby explains as we walk around the clearing. "The box?" The boy asks. We look at the metal crate that other boys are taking supplies out of. "Yeah. They send them once a month with fresh supplies and a new greenie. This month, however, things are different." He says, looking at me. "How?" The boy asks.
"Well first off there's two new greenies...and second there's a girl. We've never seen a girl."
"Ever?" I ask. He nods. I look around. All the boys are looking at me. "That explains the looks." I say. "Sent up? By who though? Who put us here?" The boy asks. "We dont know."
"Hey you alright, Ably?" Newt asks, coming towards us. "Aha. Green bean, meet Newt. When I'm not around, he's in charge." Newt takes the boys hand and shakes it. "Well it's a good thing you're always around. So...what's the deal with her?" Newt asks, slightly muttering the last bit. "Still trying to figure it out. Alby replies. "Listen that was some dash you guys made earlier." Newt tells us. He faces the boy. "For a second I thought you might have had the chops to be a runner...till you face planted." He laughs. He turns to me. "You however...are very fast. We might make a runner out of you." He says. "Runner?"  I ask. "Newt do me a favour. Go find Chuck?" Alby requests. "Look I'm sorry to rush this. You came up a little late and we've got something special planned tonight." Alby says as he puts and arm around our shoulders. I pull away. "Ok...so you don't like to be touched. Noted." Alby says. We walk to a tall structure. It didn't look super sturdy, but it would do. I follow Alby up and look over the large clearing.