The Boy on the Roof

Monday - January Thirtieth

It had been about a month since that night Akira told me he loved me. We had been dating that whole time, and I love every second of it. With him, I finally felt whole again...but I noticed there was always a small hole that no amount of time I spent with my trickster never went away. And I had no idea why.

Nevermind that. Today was the first day back to school from winter break. And the boy who sits in front of me, whose name I still have yet to learn, passed me a note.

It read, "Meet me on the roof after school."

I thought it weird, for we have hardly ever talked, and when we did, it was just him asking for help with school work, or vice versa. But I wanted to know why, so I wrote a simple yes on the paper and handed it back.

When school ended, I had a few things I still had to do, so it took me longer than expected to get to the roof. But once I got there, I saw the dark brown-haired boy sitting on one of the spare desks that were kept up there.

He glanced up at me when he heard the door. Something seemed a bit different about his demeanor now that we were alone. He just smiled at me.

"I'm honestly surprised you still have yet to recognize me, even though you are clearly the one who has changed the most." He sounded a little too happy, given the situation.

But what did he mean? Did I know this person in the past and forgot about him? The way he looked at me, his head slightly cocked to the side with slight confusion, his soft grey eyes staring right into mine.

The only person aside from Akira who ever looked at me like that was... I could not for the life of me remember their face. My head started hurting... And the more I thought about what was going on, the worse it got...

???

Akechi found himself in an old, battered house, one that seemed familiar. He heard crying coming from one of the rooms. When he located the source, he opened the door, and inside were two young kids. One was a young boy with dark brown hair, and the other a little girl with long honey-blond hair.

This scene felt all too familiar. The two kids looked to be about thirteen. The boy was comforting the girl as she cried her eyes out. Goro knew all too well the reason why the girl he was staring down at was crying.

She had just told his closest friend that she didn't want to be a girl, because that little girl was just a boy trapped in the wrong body.

"Akechi-san. Please don't cry. I'll help you." Those words the boy spoke were what made Akechi who he was today.

The headache subsided, and I stared at who I now realized was the boy in that memory. Katsumi Nakamura.

"Katsumi- I..." I could barely speak. But Katsumi's stance changed yet again. He now had the same cold glare he had on his face the whole time they had both gone to this school.

Something changed with Katsumi; it was all too obvious. But he had already left the roof, and I couldn't get my body to do anything to stop him. 

A/N

Ok, yes. I may have included one or two obscure headcanons for this story. But I like the headcanon where Akechi is trans, and it works for this story (somehow). And also Katsumi is my own original character. if you want I can do a character study where I go through all of the main characters to make it more clear what headcanons are included, and why in the world a random boi is here. (because, yes, Katsumi is a persona OC, but I actually made him for a persona-based dnd game and I just shoved him in here because I can [he will be kind of important, but won't actually really be in the story that much, yet a lot and the same time].).

I'll stop rambling now before I spoil everything.