The Floor of Justice

Sunday - February Fifth

Today will be the first day we will be exploring Katsumi's palace. We decided Sunday would be the best day to start, so we could rest for more time.

I led the Phantom Thieves to the hallway with the stairs and the bloodied monster. But today, I heard a strange mumbling from it. I couldn't quite make out what it was saying since we were carefully watching it from the end of the hallway.

"Futaba, can you tell how strong it is?" Akira asked the red-head.

"It's quite strong, but if you team up, you might be able to beat it," She was typing away on her computer, "Wait. This is weird."

"What do you see?" Ann asked.

"It's not a shadow. It's readings match a persona more."

"For real?" Ryuji stated.

"This means we might be able to talk to it better than a normal shadow." Futaba added, "We might not have to fight it."

"Who should try talking to it?" Akira questioned Futaba.

"Akechi."

I turned around to face Futaba, "Why me?"

She shook her head, "Because you know Katsumi the best, even with your apparent amnesia."

I placed my hand to my chin, "Right. I'll go."

Akira grabbed my hand, and I looked at him, "Be careful, ok?"

I smiled at my boyfriend, "Of course."

The gruesome creature stared at me as I cautiously walked toward it. I started to understand it's mumblings as I got closer.

"Closer...scared...help..."

When I got even closer, I noticed that it looked to be in pain. Which was understandable given how bloody it was.

"Who hurt you?"

It quieted down a bit, but I could still hear it, "Love...ruin...accident...his fault..."

It's mumblings still didn't make much sense, so I decided to get closer.

"Can you understand me?"

It nodded its head, "Monster, I am not."

That was the first thing it said that wasn't broken.

"Can you answer my first question then?"

"He says that fault is His, but truth is a fickle thing."

"Katsumi's cognition views you as hurt?"

"Inmate sees Justice no more. That is true," The creature looked me right in the eyes, "Aethena keeps watches over Inmate, yet Inmate wishes to disobey."

"Ok. Aethena, was it? Me and my friends are here to help you."

"No. Inmate wishes that you and your friends leave." Aethena looked saddened.

I reached out my hand, "You don't have to listen. Katsumi has been distorted. You are no longer listening to the truth."

Aethena nodded, "Justice is on the side of your team. But I must see your just worth."

I was honestly concerned over the creature, "Do you still wish to fight, even when broken down like you are?"

"Proof of Justice, you have shown. Choosing to not run to battle may be a wise choice, but if it strikes you down, do you break?"

"Huh? What do you mean by that?"

"The time will arrive when you must face the truth. You must not let Inmate dissuade you." Aethena stood up and turned to the stairs, "Justice, good luck."

With that, the beast disappeared to the second floor.

"Woah, Akechi, you did it!" Futaba and the others were happy I was able to get the monster to leave with just a simple conversation, but I was wondering what it meant by what it said.

Akira grabbed my hand, "Good job," he smiled at me, and I couldn't help but smile back, even though that hole I've been feeling this whole time has grown bigger.