Coralie's Dad

"Hey, Felix, why are you always so nervous around my dad?"

"N-No reason, none at all."

His station wagon was parked at the gas station, and Felix was once again within twenty feet of Coralie's Père. He seemed unassuming – dad bod, bald head, goofy grin on his face all the time, but Felix knew that this Tiefling had seen things. He didn't know much, just that he was involved with something in the military. Something that probably won't be declassified until after Felix was dead.

 Something that probably won't be declassified until after Felix was dead

"Yep!" she replied, getting in. "I'm sorry that I made you come all the way out here."

He shrugged. "It's your car, this is a learning experience. I'm just glad I get to see you – it's been months." He glared at Felix through the window. "Has he been a gentleman?"

"Of course! A perfect gentleman."

He started driving the car back onto the road. "Good, good. Won't have to use the wood splitter on him this time, ho ho!"

Coralie laughed. Felix made a noise that faintly resembled laughing. Mr. Lefebvre laughed as to hide his thick, complete seriousness.

"So, you... you know Enoki Ramirez, oui? Amihan Ramirez's daughter? Well, they up and ran one day, but we spotted them, and we think there's a decent chance that we could rescue them."

"Imagine your parents being famous enough that everyone treats you like a child... I'm so glad you don't have to live like that, Coralie. What I did for the military won't be declassified for at least two more decades."

Felix's mind started racing.

"Do you think... Do you think we could get enough money from finding them to buy a new car for me? Or maybe just bribe them out of money to keep them secret?"

He grinned. "That's my baby girl."

"And maybe we can get something for Felix! He's been super helpful!"

"Hmm, like what?" he looked at him through the rear-view mirror. "What would you like, Felix?"

He nearly choked on his breath. "I'd just like to make it through this trip alive, hehe."

"Good choice! So, Coralie... I was listening to the police radios, as I usually do, and I caught wind of a missing person case involving two college-age females. Is that a lead you're interested in following?"

Of course he listens to police radios, thought Felix.

"Çé bon!" replied Coralie. "So where do we head offto first?"