Next stop, license plates

"I was so nice to them," sighed the waiter, "At least, I think I was, I even tried flirting with that one girl, and they steal my car?"

Nim shrugged. "You probably shouldn't have left the spare key in an obvious spot."

"Right, right... Just please keep me updated, my mom is going to be super mad if she's gonna have to take me to work every day."

"Are we set to go, Chief Maurice?"

He nodded, turned around, and began to exit, apparently with the expectation that Nim had better follow behind or he was going to get left behind.

When they hopped back in the car, at least Goawn was thrilled, immediately trying to climb into the front but being too fat to squeeze through the thin windowed-off area. With no other option, he had begun to aimlessly lick the back of the chair.

"So, what next?"

Maurice pulled a map out from the dashboard and handed it to Nim. Nim folded it out, and Maurice pointed at a spot near the center.

"The DMV? We're tracking a plate?"

He nodded.

"Can't we just call them?"

Maurice handed him the police intercom.

"Alrighty..." He pushed the button. "This is officer Nim McNeely of the Charlottesville Magic University; we're needing to run a plate." He then gave the details of the plate and answered a few questions. At that point, they hung up, and he realized that they'd have to wait a moment to get all the information back.

So, the two of them went back inside and ateItalian food.