seven. (living a lie)

SEVEN | "we're both members of the orphan club"

━━━━━━━✿━━━━━━━

   "SO, tell me about space

   "SO, tell me about space. I'm curious what life was like up there? I've always imagined it to be some kind of magical universe where it feels other-worldly and you have the stars in reaching distance and—"

   Nova's enthusiasm is cut short when Murphy interrupts her, "Why do you keep asking about space? It's nothing special, seriously. Especially when we all knew nothing different. It's quite mundane and depressing. You always heard of a new person being floated every other week and not everyone had windows to see out of. The food sucked, the people sucked even more and it wasn't a secret that nobody gave a shit about you. We wouldn't've been sent down here to possibly die if they cared even a little bit. So, yeah, fucking magical, huh?"

   Murphy's negative attitude dampens the mood considerably. Growing up on the Ark wasn't all Nova thought it would be like. Of course, her childhood was a content one because she was just that, a child. But it was only for eight years. She never got to experience life in space as a teenager, and she doesn't know if she's happy or sad about that.

"Not what you expected?" Murphy questions, cocking a brow at the girl.

Nova's eyes stay glued to the ground, her hands playing with the gravel near her feet. "No, I just...I mean, I don't know what I expected."

"Why's that?" Murphy prompts her, but she continues her staring contest with the floor. "Spit it out, doll. I won't bite."

Her whole body is tense, her throat is dry and her palms are sweating. Is now the right time to tell him about who she really is? Does she trust him enough for that? She's only really known him for a little over a week. What if his reaction is negative? What if he doesn't want to see her after finding out she lied to him? What if—

"You want to know why I keep asking about space?" Her head snaps up as her words comes out in a sharp tone, eyes meeting his troubled ones. He simply nods, vaguely nervous about what she has to say next.

   Okay, it's happening. Here goes nothing, or rather everything.

   "Would you believe me if I told you my name is not actually Nova?" A long pause ensues before she reveals, "it's Noora. My name used to be Noora."

   Her eyes scan Murphy to see his initial reaction, but all he seems is puzzled. Until, seconds later, his jaw drops and he almost jumps out of his skin at the realisation. There's a moment where his face washes blank with confusion, like his brain cogs can't turn fast enough to take in the information from his wide eyes. Every muscle of his body just freezes in place before his mind can catch up to his body's natural reaction to shock.

There's no way. It's impossible.

"Quinn? Noora Quinn? As in—"

   Struggling for words, Nova finishes his sentence for him, "As in the girl whose father went on a suicide mission to Earth ten years ago with his eight-year-old daughter? Yes, that girl was me."