Chapter 6: Are Muffins better than Cigarettes?

After a few minutes of awkward car ride, they finally reached Dylan’s penthouse. The last time that Shen Yue had been here, is when she was flat out drunk and woke up to the smell of bacon while trying to make a good expression towards Doctor Wang.

Shen Yue tosses her bag onto the sofa and makes herself comfortable in a corner while kicking off her shoes.
Dylan suddenly emerged from the hall with a phone in-between his shoulder and jaw.

“Hello?”

Dylan looks at Shen Yue
“Is mexican food, okay? I’ve been craving some tacos.”

“I can eat anything,” Yue promises him, and Dylan nods, then rattles off a list of long Mexican food.

“Hey,” the doctor echoes.  “The food won’t be long now,” Dylan says as he hangs up the phone, his eyes are warm looking as if he’s thankful that he finally has some alone time with Shen Yue. He still feels guilty for cancelling their date at one of his favourite French restaurant.

Yue follows him dumbly into the kitchen where the Dylan pours the two of them a glass of water each, on the counter. Yue doesn’t drink her and instead watches the doctor secretly.
Being alone with just the two of them in Dylan’s apartment made Shen Yue nervous. Plus, the warning that Doctor Sun Qian gave her doesn’t made her feel any better. When Dylan’s glass clinks against the ceramic, Yue drags her gaze away from staring at his pretty face and mentally kicked herself for zoning out.

“Just make yourself at home, okay? I’m going to take a quick shower.” Dylan says as he fishes out a couple of money from his wallet, instructing Yue to pay if the order arrives. He then left leaving Shen Yue to herself.

It takes another 20 minutes for the food to arrive and Shen Yue paid for the food by the money given to her and managed to carry two big brown bags and carry it towards the kitchen counter. Shen Yue waits for a few minutes when Dylan suddenly emerge from the hall, wearing a white shirt, black shorts with his hair damp from the shower.

He gave Yue a small smile and sat next to her. Dylan smells like expensive shampoo but still with the hint of his channel cologne he often wears whenever he’s on duty.

They both ate quietly. Surprisingly, it wasn’t a bit awkward, it’s more of a comfortable silence surrounding them while they ate tacos, quesadillas, and nachos.

After eating, Dylan invited Shen Yue out on his balcony while smoking a cigarette and drinking coffee. Shen Yue’s nose scrunched up at the smell of nicotine but she didn’t bother telling Dylan about her hatred of cigarettes.
Finally after a long amount of time of silence, Dylan was the first to speak up.

“I’m really sorry for ditching our date. The surgery was last minute planned and I couldn’t leave just like that.” Dylan’s eyes were transfix towards sky, he won’t bother looking at Shen Yue for fear that she might get angry with him.

Meanwhile, Shen Yue is staring directly at Dylan who continuously puffs the smoke in and out of his mouth. When the cigarette stick is finally finished, he placed it towards the trash can near his balcony. He looks like he was about to light another one but Shen Yue manage to snag away the stick.

Dylan looked at Yue dumbfounded
“Stop. That’s enough cigarettes for today, Doctor Wang.”

“I told you to call me Dylan.”

Shen Yue just shrug while sipping slightly on the coffee. She placed the mug back on the ceramic plate and looked at Dylan who was staring at her amusedly.

“Anyway, I forgive you.” Dylan’s face seemed to light up and he wanted to hug Shen Yue but stopped himself.

“To be fair, it’s still Sunday, how about a movie date instead?” Dylan offered and Yue accepted his offer for reasons she doesn’t know why.