Can We Talk? A Drink Between Friends!

(Art by a friend!)

     Dinner.
Ghost forgot what table manners where.

She hadn't eaten anything since the day before, and it showed. Her manners matched Luffy's which was a feat within of itself. It didn't help that Sanji was a master cook, an that she had never tried his food before. But by the way she was inhaling everything in sight, Sanji took it as a compliment to the chef.

"Oh Ghosty, I'm so so so happy you like my cooking!! I hope you know I'll make whatever you want from now on until forever my beautiful angel!!!!"

Ghost didn't really respond, just a grunt and a thumbs up for a moment, then she went right back into eating the food in front of her. She really didn't know how to feel about Sanji and his persistent flirting, but if it meant she could eat like this every single day, she would learn to put up with it. Around her, there was idle chatter among the crew mates. For a moment, she made eye contact with Usopp, who immediately averted his gaze with a cold look, making her heart sink just a little. And for a moment, she slowed down her eating pace. It wasn't hard for her to now get lost in thought. She hoped this didn't tarnish the relationship with her whole crew. But she knew she couldn't just sit and do nothing, she had to interact with him too.

"Hey, you alright?" Zoro bumped arm into hers.

"Hm? Y-yeah. Yeah I'm good..." It may be from the night they spent drinking, but Ghost felt like she could trust Zoro. Something about the way they clicked so fast felt natural. Maybe it was because they were in the same line of business. But for a moment, she felt she could be real with him. "Hey. This is a strange request, but do you think we could talk later?"

Zoro was kind of taken aback, "Why me?"

"Because I already have experience downing a bottle of sake and talking to you about anything."

It took him a moment, but his stern look melted into a chuckle, "That's fair. I'm on lookout tonight, so I'll be out there until morning. Let's talk."

Ghost smiled sweetly, "Thanks, Roronoa."

He didn't show it, but that smile she gave him felt... different. Something genuine shined through her for a second... And he could tell that meant a lot to her.

After dinner was over, everyone went to their rooms to prepare for the long days ahead. Goodnights were shared, Sanji got his last few flirtatious words in, Usopp hurried past everyone to avoid Ghost, and Zoro sat himself at the base of the mast in the middle of the deck. Ghost sat for a moment alone in the galley, trying to collect her thoughts. She had been suppressing so many voices in her head that after a while it starts to feel like her skulls about to explode. Nights were the worst, they were more active. And being on the ocean, which was basically a big blue graveyard, wasn't making it any better...

"I have to learn how to control myself better... I can't run away from the ocean anymore..." She whispered to herself, while trying to talk the spirits out of her head. Once she found herself in a place where she could stand and not pass out, she made her way outside.

The moon was glowing, making everything light up a pale blue. The ocean reflected it like glass. The stars looked like a trillion pinholes, sharing their own light. She made her way over to Zoro, who was still sitting by the mast, his eyes closed. Once she made her way over, she stood beside him with her arms crossed, taking deep breaths. Neither of them said anything for a while. I guess they both knew to just take in the scenery before getting into business. Little did Ghost know, that's exactly what she needed to clear her head of any remaining voices that weren't her own. For a moment, she could heat nothing but the crashing waves. It overcame her with emotions she hadn't felt in a while. Happiness. Clarity. She sat down next to Zoro, and got down to business.

"I think one of your crew mates hates my guts." Ghost sighed.

"Oh? How could you tell?" Zoro said, dripping with sarcasm.

She couldn't help but chuckle, but that went away pretty fast. She took her sunglasses off and started fiddling with them nervously, "I don't really feel like I'm part of this crew yet... And I feel really guilty about it..."

"It's an adjustment for sure. Especially for you. You've never really been tied down before, have you?"

"No, sir."

"Usopp is a coward. But I don't blame him for being scared right now. We baited him with warnings about you and now you sleep in the same room as him."

Ghost let out a giggle, "I didn't really think about it like that, sometimes I forget my bounty..." She brought her knees up to her chest, resting her head on them. She let out a deep sigh, getting lost in thought again. Zoro looked over at her, giving her a questioning look. 'What's got you down?' is what his eyes said. Ghost gave herself a half assed chuckle and looked over at him, "Sometimes I wish I could start over, yknow. Take my bounty away, change my name, go somewhere nice..."

Zoro wasnt really expecting her to say something like that. He wasnt quite sure what to say... He stared out into the distance and sighed. Ghost heard a clank next to her. A bottle of sake in Zoro's grasp was put next to her. He released his grasp, which Ghost replaced, putting it up to her lips and taking a hardy swig of it. They both got lost in the horizon, gazing upon the glassy ocean. It was a beautiful night...

"Take this chance then..."

Ghost looked at him, confused.

"Take this chance to start over. You've never been a pirate. And now you are. You're new life will come naturally. Take it from me, if it weren't for Luffy, I'd be dead in the ground at the hands of the Marines. Safe to say my life changed for the better..." He smiled, thinking back to when they first met. "But don't tell Luffy I said that though..."

Zoro looked over to the quiet Ghost, who had tears gently rolling down her softly smiling face. He tensed up, SUPER not knowing what to do. He watched her take one last big swig of sake, hand it back to him, and stand up tall, stretching out her back. "You're right. I should take this chance. I lost that fight fair and square, and I need to act like it. Luffy earned my dedication and that's what I'm gonna give him..." She started to walk back towards the cabin, ready to get some sleep. "Don't push yourself, Roronoa!"

"Oi, hold on!"

Ghost stopped in place, turning to look at him again.

"I've got a question..." He looks back, looking at her from the corner of his eye. "You didn't plan on winning that fight... did you?"

Ghost chuckled, giving him a devious grin, "And what if that's true?"

He chuckles back. "Goodnight, Cutthroat..."

"Sweet dreams!"

As she entered the cabin, she noticed all the boys were already fast asleep. She shuffled back to her hammock in the corner, away from the others. It took her a while to fall asleep, after sleeping the entire day. But she wanted to take advantage of the clarity she had, its not every night her head is dead silent. Once asleep, she felt at peace, getting very good rest...

     Zoro stayed up the entire night thinking about Ghost. Something about her struck him a certain way. He was almost angry at himself for telling Usopp all the horrible things about her, but felt guilty for not knowing about the good. Its not like there was any way he could have known anyway... but there was still a pang of guilt in his heart. He didn't like all these complicated feelings. He was simple man, with simple thoughts, and thats been interrupted. And what's worse was he couldn't even sleep it off.
     He hoped that she would fit in soon. She seemed to trust him, and that made him feel good. He wanted the whole crew to feel that way.