Chapter 33: Graduation

The fourth month blew by and now the fifth carries on with the end of the school year, and for Daryl, the end of school altogether. Beth is still pretty small for being 5 months, but her doctor tells her she shouldn't worry about it, and she hasn't been. Daryl however has been not only making her eat every few minutes, but has been cooking healthy non stop. He's even lost some weight, mostly cause of stress, but a good portion from not eating what he usually does- all to support Beth.

But today, he feels he has dropped a significant amount of weight due to nerves. He can't believe he's going to be walking across the stage for his diploma. How did he get here? He used to smoke pot and drink all the time, he basically have up smoking col turkey, cause of Beth, but now he's actually going to be someone in a big work force. He did it. Sadly his parents aren't there to see this go down, but Beth gladly brought her family to support him.

Standing on their bathroom in his nice pants shirt and tie, Beth waddles in with his cap and gown and holds him from behind as they look at each other in the mirror.

"I'm so proud of you..." He kisses his shoulder and puts on his gown and then hit cap. Against his back they feel the baby kick and he turns to face her. Crouching down he holds her belly in his hands and kiss her trough her sun dress. When he stands up, he plants another kiss on her lips and pulls her as close as he can get to his body.

"Thank you sweetie... Pooka, you kicked me in the bottom...thats a warning." He scolds the bump playfully and Beth just laughs.

"Haha, he was congratulating you."

"Haha well he needs to kicks Merle's behind into graduating already. He's already three years behind. I'm beginning to think he's gonna try to live here his whole life."

"He probably would if he was allowed." She straightens his tie before she zips up his gown. "You sure yer fine with my family coming? They don't have too."

"Nah, I'd like to see em. Yer dad and I are on good terms since you showed him Pooka." Lacing their fingers together, he kisses her forehead and she leans into the kiss.

"Okay...I just wanted to make sure. You excited?"

"Nervous is more like it. Haha, but knowing yer in the stands calms me a bit."

"Wouldn't be anywhere else. I might fall asleep, but I'll hopefully see ya."

"Haha there's only 140 graduating today, that's not even that many people."

"I know, but Pooka keeps me up at night."

"That's two." Daryl says back down to her stomach and she giggles and just leans into him. "You okay though?"

"Yeah. I'm perfect. Summer's finally here...almost."

"Yep. And soon Pooka will be also."

Sitting in the bleachers at Graduation, Beth and her family smile and wave when Daryl comes in and the ceremony begins. She sits through the whole thing an doesn't fall asleep... surprisingly. But her mind wanders about, thinking about Pooka and Daryl. More importantly, how she's gonna master going to school next year and take care of her baby.

Meeting Daryl outside, Beth jumps up and hugs him as he walks over to them. Hershel congratulates him on his success and they all seem to be getting along. They finish their evening eating dinner and conversing over Pooka or work, but Daryl has other thoughts on his mind. He wants to just move passed the expected route and into his own niche in society.

On their walk back to their apartment, they walk along the pond's edge in the park and Beth couldn't have asked for a nicer evening. Sunsetting, birds still chirping, no bugs are out yet, and she can't hide the fact that she's excited for just relaxing all summer. Crouching down Daryl bends over to tie his shoe and Beth waits, looking about the park. It's beautiful and she wants to just feel the beautiful breeze blow through the bottom if her dress. Looking down to see how long it's taking Daryl to tie his shoe, she finds him kneeling and holding an open ring box in his hand and he takes her hand.

"Beth....will you marry me?" He asks her and at first she just trembles with fear and nervousness, but then it becomes excitement.

"Yes!!! Yes! Daryl!" Standing up, he picks her up and spins her around. "Sssttop...we have to be be careful of Pooka."

"Haha, I'm sorry... I just can't believe you said yes! Oh my go I love you."

"Yes a thousand times. I love you."

"I love you cutie. Let's go to bed."

"Yes...lets."