Chapter 19: Jack

Chapter 19: Jack

That night, Daryl slept in the guest room, but didn't get to sleep for a while. His mind journeyed upstairs to Beth. He felt her there with him. He felt her breath and her soul with him. It's early in the morning when a small knock comes to his door. Before he can answer, the door creeks open and the blue eyed beauty comes tip toeing into the bedroom, shutting the door behind her.

"Beth, what are you...." She crawls into his bed and kisses him, cutting off his sentence with her tongue and her hands in his hair. She sits on top of him and looks down at him with big eyes and a smile playing on her face.

"Come with me....I wanna show you something." She whispers a kiss on his lips and pulls him from the bed.

"What time is it?" Daryl asks as he pulls on his pants and boots, before throwing on a sweatshirt.

"7:00 in the morning. Come on." She tugs him to the door and slowly opens it. They sneak out the back door and she tugs him down the hill toward the barn. Getting in, she closes the door and turns on the light.

"What are we doing?"

"You ever ride a horse before?"

"No....why are we riding horses at 7 in the morning?"

"You'll see." She giggles as she goes to the first horse stall, where a big black and white Gypsy Vanner is happily bussling about the stall. "This is Jack."

"He...he's big...."

"He's a draft horse. He's supposed to be big. You might wanna stand back as I get him out and ready." Opening the sliding wood door, she places a red harness on his face and leads him out where she ties him off on two leads across the two sides of the barn. She brushes his long black mane and tail out and feeds him sugar cubes as she lays a red padding on his back and hooks it underneath. Daryl notices the size of him, but finally lets go of his nervousness. "You wanna pet him?"

"I..."

"Come here, he won't hurt you." She walks over to him and gently takes his hand and puts it out, where Jack smells it, before Beth places it on his velvet nose. Taking the other hand she puts it on Jack smooth jaw. "See, he ain't too bad. You just gotta show yer not scared and he can trust you."

"He's kinda cool."

"Yeah... let's go for a ride."

"Wait... on him?"

"Yeah."

She lets the leads unlock from his harness and takes him to the steps near the back door, that she opens. Getting up and on him, she grips his hair and looks down at Daryl. She pats the back of Jack and Daryl hesitantly gets on.

"KiKikk." She makes a clicking noise from the back side of her mouth and Jack walks forward. As they go out of the barn, Daryl is really uncomfortable as he holds tightly onto Beth, who barely holds onto Jack's mane. She takes him out toward the right wheat field and looks back at Daryl. "Hold on."

"What?"

"Hold on!" She nudges the side of Jack with her spurs and he kicks up, trotting out over the wheat and soon goes into a full gallop. Daryl squeezes Beth's stomach so hard, he feels like he's crushing her, but he is so scared right now. He's never been on a fast moving animal before, okay he's never been on an animal, but he's never moved this fast. Looking around, his eyes water from the wind hitting his face. But looking at Beth, she seems so free and at peace. When they reach a trail heading into the woods, Beth slows Jack to a slow trot and then soon to a walk. Making it into the woods, Daryl takes notice in how beautiful it is.

The trail dips down and twists and curves. Beth slows Jack up all the way when they reach the quarry. She pulls him up to the side of a big rock and slowly gets off and laughs as Daryl gets off with a bit of trouble. Letting go of Jack, Beth goes over to the water and sits on the grass. Jack walks around and Daryl is worried.

"Shouldn't you, ya know, tie him up?"

"Nah, he's a good boy. He won't go anywhere without me. He's like a big trained dog." Daryl sits beside Beth and she instantly shifts her body into his. Laying her head on his shoulder, Daryl kisses her head and stares at the slow moving water ahead of them. "It's so beautiful out here."

"Yer beautiful." Sitting up, she looks at him with those mystifying eyes and pouty, plump lips. Contorting her body, she leans over and kisses Daryl's lips. Pulling her into his lap, they end up falling backwards to the grass-their lips never leaving each other's. It isn't until Jack comes over and starts nibbling and nuzzling Beth's hair that they sit up.

"Aww, you want so love too, Jacky? I'll give you a big kiss." She sits up on Daryl's stomach and kisses Jack's velvet nose two times before he reciprocates the same love and actually licks her back. "Haha, that's my good boy."

"Don't ya think we should be getting back?" Looking down at Daryl she nods and gets off of Daryl's stomach. Helping Daryl up, they go back to the rock and get on Jack. They don't gallop home this time, they simply walk the trail back to the tall wheat fields and then trot home on the gentle giant.

Putting him away, Beth feeds him a treat, kisses his nose and then exits the barn. It was a new experience for Daryl- one he hopes he can experience again.