Chapter 2: Meeting Lucifer

______________________________

"Then, the bell rang."
______________________________

Y/N

I made my way to the attic window to see the genius who decided to show up on someone's front door amidst a lightning storm. I saw farmer John standing outside and immediately dashed downstairs.

Farmer John's visits mean father's letters.

Somewhere along the past couple of months of letters, I had come to accept Ella's father, Mr Park, as the parental figure in my life.

When he got to know about our relationship and my interest in his letters through Ella's, he began to write to me too.

Jumping down the last of the stairs, I hurried towards the door to find everybody gathered already. Farmer John had a troubled and sad look etched across his face. As his eyes met mine, I could almost feel the sorrow and pity they held.

"Miss Ella, it's your father Miss...he took ill on the road. He's passed on Miss. He's gone. To the end, he spoke only of you Miss...and your mother. I was to give you this," he spoke while handing Ella a branch.

A branch!?

He then turned towards me. "And Miss Y/N, he gave me a message for you."

"For me!?"

"For her!?"

Jennie, Mother and I exclaimed in unison.

"Yes, for you Miss. He was thankful for the companionship you gave Miss Ella and hoped that you would be with her in this time of need. And he asked me to give you this."

Farmer John handed me a bouquet of the most beautiful bunch of red roses I had ever laid my eyes on.

Blood Red...white?

Right in the centre bloomed an elegant white rose, putting snow to shame.

"He wanted me to tell you that he was sorry as he could only find these two colors," he continued.

Red roses...meant promise? In most cases, a promise of love, but here, a promise to cherish and care for his beloved daughter.

And what did white roses stand for? Purity...purity of heart? Of feelings?

(Yes, I love overanalyzing stuff)

"But what about my parasol..." Jennie muttered softly.

"Can't you see? none of that matters. We're ruined! How will we live..." Mother exclaimed, not even reacting to Father's passing away, as she walked away with Jennie.

"Thank you...it must've been very hard for you," Ella said, her voice shaking, as she bid farewell to Farmer John.

I felt as if I was being continuously pricked by pins and my eyes welled up. But the tears refused to fall, clinging on tightly for dear life.

My eyes darted across the room and I noticed Jimin staring at me, wearing a pained expression. He had been so silent that I hadn't even noticed his presence.

I clutched the bouquet in my hands even tighter as I began to full-on sob, taking them both by surprise.

Jimin engulfed me in his arms as Ella patted my head, both trying to comfort me.

"Ella, You-you must be so s-sad, it must be s-so difficult for y-you," I managed to let out between my sobs.

The two chuckled softly.