Chapter 9- A Little Bird Told Me

"So, where would you like to start?"

We had settled into the aisle farthest back of the Library. A small can was flickering in between us casting a soft hue on Draco's face. It was times like these that I wish I had full use of my senses. I miss the loud sounds of silence. 

"My main issue isn't my signing abilities. They may be sloppy according to you, but they're perfectly readable to anybody who understands it. That's the problem, nobody knows sign language. I need to be able to communicate again with them normally." 

"Well considering you can't hear anybody and we haven't got a clue as to how to solve that, I won't be able to help much with communicating normally. I did, however, find something before I came for this reason. It's not the best solution, though it is more accessible than signing for most. Lip-reading is a skill that I don't think you are quite ready for," I swear I could still hear that drawl through his hand signs.  

"Well, if you're so confident and are done gloating over your abilities then what is this solution." I rolled my eyes at his cockiness. Some things never change, though now I had a hard time finding it as a bad thing. 

"It's not that, it's just... lip-reading took me a while to learn. I was going to save that for the next lesson. That is unless you don't want to continue." He was wearing that damn smirk again. Two can play at that game.

"I don't know Malfoy. You sound like it's you who's trying not to drive me away." 

He faltered at that. "Shut up, Potter."

"Back to last names are we? I thought we were making progress. And in case you haven't noticed we haven't been talking."

"Stop being a smartarse-"

"So, you admit I'm smart?"

"You truly are an insufferable git, you know that right?" 

"Takes one to know one Draco, takes one to know one." I sighed and leaned back against a shelf containing books about Vampires. 

"Anyways, here's the solution." He reached into his leather bag and brought out a short, thick blood-red book. On the front in stunning, monograms were the initials DM printed in silver. 

"Red? and is this your diary? We may not be enemies anymore, but I don't think we're that close." I really couldn't understand why he was giving this to me. Shouldn't these things be kept private? Then, my mind wandered to my thoughts just a few hours ago and I had to shake them away. 

He's not trying to hit on you, for Merlin's sake. Those might just be rumors too. Who knows, he might be dating someone. And it's not like I'm-

"Hello... earth to Harry?" I blinked those thoughts away as he waved a hand in front of my face.

"What? No, I'm fine. What's the book for though?" 

"It's not perfect, but it's something. I figured you could write with people in it. Then they wouldn't have to know sign and you won't have to read lips. I thought we could just write today."

I took the book from his hands and he handed me a grey self-inking quill and I started to write.

What do you want to talk about?

I don't know any ideas?

Tell me something...

Like what?

I want to know something that nobody else does about you.

Anything in particular?