The Perfect Storm

I probably was crying for a few hours, or just thirty minutes- I couldn't tell the difference. Just...being with Ethan after all this time, it was wonderful, yet sickening. It took my grandmother's death for him to realize his best friend is destroying himself from the inside out? Getting enough courage, I sit up straight so I wouldn't lean on him anymore, and open my mouth.

"Ethan...what did I do?" That bugged me. All too much for my own sake. But...maybe if I found out...I could fix the problem.

Ethan's breath hitches, and he squeezes his  eyes shut.

"Benny.." He starts, but I stop him.

"No....no pity words. Tell me, right here, right now. What. Did....I do...for all of this to happen?"

I stand, using my hands to emphasize my....desperation? I guess that could be to describe it.

"Better question...what happened that night...with Jesse?" Sincereity flew through me to my friend, and he couldn't help but snap.

"You attacked us, Benny. You...you attacked me. And...if you were so keen on telling who is a vampire....you really possess no ability to...because....I..." Ethan freezes, then turns to Benny, his eyes glowing, fangs bared.

"I'm one."

My mind goes blank, and all I could do was stare at my friend.

"You're...you're what?"

Ethan nods, crossing his arms, his features becoming human once more.

"You turned me. And seeing how I didn't want to die, I....had....to drink human blood."

"Ethan.."

"Now don't YOU put pity on me. If it weren't for you, and your....your GOD DAMN idiocy...this wouldn't have happened..."

I furrow my eyebrows, and I go to stare out the window. There were storm clouds for miles, all hailing large quantities of white flurries down to the Earth. Perhaps this...knowledge added more to this storm.

Made it the Perfect Storm.

Turning back to Ethan, my face dies, and I feel cold inside.

"I'm sorry. If I could change the past, I would. And you know it...But hiding away from me, acting like you don't KNOW me...instead of allowing me to help....we get through this together...you push me away. Everyone pushes me away. I am ALONE Ethan. I-" Ethan smacks me across the face, his own red with anger.

"YOU made YOURSELF alone, Benjamin Weir. YOU CAUSED ALL OF THIS!" He points outside to the storm, and my eyes only lower to the floor, ashamed.

"I didn't kill my grandmother, if that's what you think."

Ethan goes silent.

I remain in my own silence.

Together we just stare into our own space- lost in oblivion. Absorbed in our guilt, our shame. Wondering if things will be better one day.

At once, we broke. Our tears greeting one another as our arms held our friendship tight, mending the rips that could only be fixed by forgiveness. I bury my head in his neck, holding him close. His, in my chest.

"I'm sorry, Benny...please forgive me..."

"I forgave you the moment the storm began..."