Kabanata 32

Unraveling The Dawn
Chapter 32
Evil

Mabibilis ang ginawa kong pagtakbo. Palinga-linga sa likuran upang tignan kung nakasunod pa ba ang mga ito.

“Help!” I shouted on top of my lungs.

“Help! Please! Help!” I cried.

My voice was rough. I maintain that by shouting too many times. I need them to know that I’ve been deprived of life through my voice.

I have a lot of bruises on my arms. My lips are bleeding and so is my mouth. My hair is a bit messy, my feet have nothing to shield themselves from. My eyes are sore and I couldn’t really see properly.

“Hindi ako papayag! The fuck?! Why will you do that to her?!”

“Anong hindi?! Ipapasok natin siya roon! Might as well do our best to suceed this plan! At walang kahit na sinong maniniwala na ayaw niya rito sa mundong ‘to kung hindi siya nasaktan at nagkamali!”

I still hear his protest echoing in my mind. But what his sister said rings true. Who would believe I'm a battered wife when I look as fresh as an apple?

I should be scarred, broken, and messed up. I need to seem too vulnerable for them to think I'm not just a victim, but someone they can manipulate like before.

"Hah! Hah!" I breathed out sharply.

I can now see the shadow of the village walls, towering high, probably under the orders of our Priest. I'm sure there are more guards inside now.

Thinking about the changes inside fills me with fear—I have no idea what awaits me.

Memories of people being sacrificed and sinners being punished flood my mind. There are different versions, but I'm always the one who suffers.

My father's memory lingers. How ironic the situation feels.

The coldness of the forest and the rushing wind can't compare to the feeling of my father's hands, as I remember them.

My lips tremble, but it doesn't compare to the fear my father instilled.

Something inside me longs for freedom, but the more I crave it without considering those who deserve it, the less deserving I feel.

My sisters... they're probably victims too. I'll never forget what Styn told me during our lectures in TC1.

Sex is normal, but it can also be dangerous and wrong.

Premarital sex can be fine as long as both of you have consent. Being not married to a person you engage in sexual activities is fine as long as there is no forcing.

Forcing anyone into sexual activity, regardless of marital status or gender, constitutes rape. Engaging in sexual acts with a family member is similarly condemned.

These actions are considered grave sins that God does not forgive easily.

Despite this, I seek forgiveness. Styn once said that the blame for such crimes lies with the perpetrator, not the victim. It is my father who is the sinner, not me or my sisters.

I must protect my sisters and other women who may be unaware of the wrongdoing occurring within our village.

Within our community, there is no divine presence, only evil. If others choose to align with the wrongdoers, I will distance myself from them.

"Help! Please, help me!" I cried out once more.

As the gate opened, I saw three men looking at me. They were my only hope so I could proceed to our plan. Not being able to enter the village again would mean I failed.