First Date: Hidden Corners and Quiet Secrets

As I stood in front of my closet, a wave of nervous excitement washed over me. Tonight was the night—Marshall had promised to take me somewhere special, and the thought of what that might mean had my mind racing. I had spent the last hour debating what to wear, finally deciding on a simple but elegant lavender dress. It was one of my favorites, the kind that made me feel confident without trying too hard. I paired it with my go-to high heels, the ones that added just the right amount of height and made me feel a little more in control.

As I fastened a delicate necklace around my neck, I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror. I looked composed, ready for whatever tonight might bring, but inside, I was a bundle of nerves. This date felt like a turning point—a chance to see if there was something real between us or if I was just another chapter in Marshall's unpredictable life.

A knock on the door pulled me out of my thoughts. My heart skipped a beat, and I quickly glanced at the clock. Right on time. Marshall didn't have my phone number—it was one of those small details that both intrigued and bothered me. If he needed to reach me, he had to show up in person, like now, standing at my door. It was old-fashioned in a way, almost romantic, but it also left me wondering if it was his way of keeping things casual, keeping me at arm's length.

I took a deep breath, trying to steady the butterflies in my stomach as I walked to the door. When I opened it, there he was, standing, looking both nervous and endearing, like he wasn't quite sure what to do next.

"Hey," he said, his voice low and rough, like he hadn't spoken much today. His blue eyes softened when they met mine, and I noticed a slight shift in his usual confident demeanor.

I smiled, feeling my nerves settle a bit at the sight of him. "Hey," I replied, trying to sound casual, though my heart was pounding in my chest.

His gaze traveled down to my dress, and a small, almost shy smile tugged at the corners of his lips. "You look... really nice."

The warmth in his voice made me feel like I'd made the right choice, but I could also see that he was a little out of his element. There was something sweet about it, seeing him this way—vulnerable, unsure. "Thanks," I said, glancing at him. "You look good too."

He chuckled softly, rubbing the back of his neck, clearly not used to this. "Yeah, well, I don't really do this... date thing much, so..." His voice trailed off, and I could see a faint blush on his cheeks, which only made him more endearing.

I couldn't help but smile at his honesty. "You're doing just fine," I reassured him, taking a step closer, feeling more comfortable with each passing second.

Marshall's eyes flicked down to my high heels, and he grinned, a playful light returning to his eyes. "But, uh... you might want to change out of those," he said, nodding toward my feet. "Where we're going isn't exactly... heel-friendly."

"Oh!" I let out a breath, lifting one foot to show off the delicate strap of my shoe. "Alright," I said, still smiling as I headed back to my room to change. "It'll only take a second."

As I slipped out of my dress and into a pair of jeans, a soft sweater, and my favorite sneakers, I felt a little rush of embarrassment. Somehow, I always managed to miss the mark around him—dressing too fancy, stumbling over my words, tripping, slamming. Why did it feel like I was always just a step behind him?

When I returned, I could see the approval in his eyes, even though he didn't say anything outright. "Much better," he said, holding out his hand. "You ready?"

I took his hand, feeling the warmth of his skin against mine, and nodded. "Ready."

Marshall led me out of my apartment and into the back alley behind our building, his steps confident, like he'd done this a hundred times. The sounds of the city faded into the background as we reached the side of the building, where a narrow fire escape clung to the brick wall. It was rusty, its metal frame barely noticeable unless you knew exactly where to look. It looked like it hadn't been touched in years, hidden from plain sight.