Lunchtime Bombshells: A Twist in the Bites

A few hours later, the coffee catastrophe felt like a distant memory as I found myself nestled comfortably in a chic Japanese restaurant with Logan. The atmosphere was sleek and refined—minimalist black lacquered tables, warm lighting reflecting off smooth bamboo panels, and the delicate aroma of fresh sushi mingling with the faint hint of soy sauce.

The clink of chopsticks against fine ceramic drifted through the air, and the hum of contentment seemed to settle over the diners like a soft blanket. It was the kind of place that made you sit up a little straighter, but I felt at ease.

I was dressed to impress, rocking my sleek little black dress and strutting in my black opium YSL sandals. The night seemed to take on a rhythm of its own—a blend of laughter, shared stories, and the calming hum of familiarity. For a few fleeting hours, life's unpredictability was on pause, replaced by the simple joy of good company and a well-curated setting.

I guess, the past is like that. You can run from it, but sometimes, sitting across from it in a dimly lit restaurant, you realize it's not the enemy you thought it was.

"I'm glad we caught up. It's been too long!" I said, taking a sip of my red wine. The wine list was practically a who's who of fine vintages, each sip feeling more like an indulgence than just a drink.

Logan smiled, but there was something thoughtful in his expression as he swirled his own glass. "It's strange though, being here without Alexander. The three of us... we've always been together, you know?" His voice trailed off, and I could feel the weight of his words. His voice trailed off, and I could feel the weight of his words settling between us like a familiar, bittersweet memory.

Logan wasn't just Alexander's cousin; he was more like a brother. Raised in Alexander's house, we had practically grown up together, our families intertwined in a way that felt unbreakable, solid. The three of us had always moved in sync, like pieces of a puzzle that fit together seamlessly. But now, sitting here without Alexander, the gap between us felt more pronounced than ever, as though an unspoken void had settled at the table, casting a shadow over the easy conversation.

"Yeah, I know..." My fingers instinctively reached for the Van Cleef & Arpels necklace resting against my collarbone—the one Alexander had gifted me for my 20th birthday. The delicate black clover motifs brushed against my skin, cool and smooth, a constant reminder of both the beauty and the burden of the past. It was a stunning, expensive piece, a symbol of how much he cared... or maybe, how much he tried to show he did.

"You were practically inseparable. No one ever saw you apart!" Logan probed, his green eyes searching mine for answers. He had that Tom Cruise charm—a dishy, clean-cut look, with soft features that made him seem approachable, even when his curiosity was cutting deep. "Why did you make this unexpected decision?"

I shifted in my seat, trying to gather my thoughts. "To be completely honest, I'm not sure who initiated it. It was like we both silently wished for some space. We've been inseparable since forever—same school, vacations, holidays—everything was 'us.'" I paused, glancing at Logan. "You know it well, Logan, being part of the trio. The three musketeers. It's not a farewell, just... a pause."

Logan nodded, his lips curving into a small smile. "You're right. Sometimes space is necessary, even in the strongest bonds. But it's a big change." He took a bite of sushi, savoring the flavor before adding, "You two were like one unit."

"Yeah," I shrugged, trying to mask the uncertainty that lingered. "Big changes are always a bit daunting. But who knows? Maybe it's exactly what we need." My gaze dropped momentarily, the sadness creeping in before I looked back at Logan, forcing a smile.