Chapter 8 Never Forget, Never Forgive

As promised, welcome to the new chapter! I don't have a lot to say this time, besides this week sucked for writing and i've been surpassed by a story inserting a youtuber in Skullgirls, which is mildly annoying, and by that i mean supremely infuriating, but i don't want to start ANOTHER fight in the comments so i'll just leave it at that and try to take back my spot, as always this chapter was beta read by Joelitos09 DarkZ19_05 and buddyman4925, so please, enjoy the chapter.

"In the memory of Baryl "The Colonel" L/N, who proudly fought against the Gigan Nation and the Chess Kingdom during the great war, father, husband, friend and hero who lost his life to the Skullgirl"

Those were the words embedded into the base of a statue, Baryl's statue, a golden statue depicting him wearing his "armor", sword hand at his side as he pointed diagonally upwards, to a future he never saw, not only that, but even the real cause of his death had been covered up. The statue found itself in the heart of a New Meridian park that was named after Baryl himself, Y/N looked at the statue longingly from under a cheap cap he had bought so that people wouldn't make the obvious assumption they looked similar.

Forte: (Hey, Y/N)

Forte whispered in his mind, his usual loud and thunderous voice replaced by a low, soft tone, that almost sounded like a whisper.

Y/N: (Yeah?)

Y/N replied weakly.

Forte: (You've been staring at it for a while, a few hours actually)

Y/N: (Oh, we should get going then)

Y/N said, turning his back on the statue before immediately turning back to it, he hadn't said anything yet, he looked upwards, and the evening sky had already turned dark, he had spent hours looking at the statue and hadn't said anything, it was the only thing he could use to pay respects for the dead, he could not visit his parent's graves as their bodies were transported and buried alongside the king and queen's in the capital, his own "grave" was there too, although it was empty since Forte's illusion had already disappeared, Squigly and the entire Contiello family had been buried in a locked, protected mausoleum, leaving his only option to visit them being forcing down the lock and securities, but he'd rather let them rest in peace, and Patricia and Marie's bodies were never found, but even if they were, they probably would still not have a grave, just as they didn't now, so this statue was the only way he could "talk" to the dead and gone, yet, he could not find the perfect words to say, except.

Y/N: I miss you, all of you.

Was what he said, not bearing to look at the statue for the entire sentence and opting to look down with quivering lips, he took one final look at the statue, and left, not the park, but simply the vicinity of the statue walking in random directions until he finally decided to end his walk and sit on a wooden bench.

Forte: (You alright?)

Y/N: (...Yeah)

They stayed in silence for a few moments, before Forte broke it once again.

Forte: (You should probably find something to take your mind off of it)

Y/N: ( I don't want to, I don't want to stop thinking about them)

He didn't want to forget, not even for a second, Marie's note, Patricia's bracelets, his father's fight with Dahlia, his mother's crying face as she held him, Squigly's cold dying body. He didn't want to stop thinking about them, he didn't want to forget, he knew there was no chance he would, yet he didn't want to risk it for the life of him. Forte understood the boy's feelings, there was no way he couldn't, even if he hadn't experienced the same, their bodies and minds were almost one and the same, so he didn't push it further.