Chapter 1

Chapter 1: Relations

'What have you done?' I ask when I see Quinlan's face. She steps aside so I can enter her messy room.

She turns around to face me, her face white as a sheet and she starts to shuffle from one foot to the other. 'I have done nothing,' she says. I look at her unconvinced, both knowing that she will tell me later. I look around her room as the silence was too tense to break. It has changed a lot over the years.

Her walls are now painted white, whereas a few years ago they were teal. Her big bed that Arthur bought her now dominates the small bedroom. Boxes filled with Quin's stuff laid across the floor. I didn't have time to talk about starting college with my friend as she was occupied during winter break.

Talking about her occupation, Arthur walked into her room, making the space feel more claustrophobic. 'Hey babe, the car is in front if you're ready to load your things.' He said kissing her on the cheek. I nodded my head in greeting, suddenly extremely uncomfortable with their display of affection. I dropped my head and glowered at my brown boots.

'Ye- Yeah, let's do that. Ana, are you helping?' I look up at the mention of my name. I struggled to form the word yes in my mouth, so I let out 'sure' in a tiny voice. I started picking up the boxes that were already taped up and walked them down to Arthur's car. I loaded the first box into the small trunk of his Audi.

I jumped when I saw a sudden figure in my peripheral vision. I clutched my heart and looked at him. He was tall and his face impassive. 'Can I help you?' I stupidly ask the stranger. I scold myself mentally, he could be dangerous Aviana. He cleared his throat drawing my attention to his blue eyes.

'I'm looking for Quin. Is she here?' he asks me, looking at her bedroom window. I frown.

'Why? What do you want from her?' I say trying my best to sound intimidating.

His eyes fill with amusement and he lets out a sarcastic chuckle, 'Look birdie, we have unfinished business. And as much as I like talking to'- he looks me up and down before continuing his sentence- ' you, I don't have much time so please just tell Quinlan to meet at our usual spot.' He says and I shrink under his gaze. I subconsciously suck in my stomach and fold my arms to hide my not-so-flat tummy.

'Right so let me get this straight. You, who I might add is a stranger, wants me to tell my friend to meet you at some unknown place, probably in the dark. Now I don't know what your parents taught you, but that is one hell of a red flag.' I say as I regained some of my confidence.

Mister Mcdark- dark looked at me, a look of annoyance covered his features. 'Look sugar. I and Quin can't be strangers...not after what we did,' he said muttering the last bit. I look at him confused.

Before I ask him to explain he turns around and walks away, 'See you around, Birdie.' He yells without giving me a second glance. When I want to shout that he shouldn't call me that he disappears out of my sight.

'Ana? What are doing just standing here? I thought you were going to help.' Arthur said in an annoyed tone. I turn and look at him. He was carrying 3 boxes that were stacked dangerously on top of each other. 'Nothing, I- I thought I saw someone.' I say with a sigh and walk towards him taking one of the boxes off the top.

'It's fine. Let's just get this finished.' He says with a curt tone, I nod my head and walk up the stairs to take the rest of the boxes down. On my way up I contemplate if I should tell Quinlan about the man. I walk into Quin's bedroom and see her rapidly tapping on her phone.

'Quin, is everything alright?' I ask.

She jumps and almost drops her phone. Gaining her composure she pats herself down and puts on a smile, 'Ana, something you need?' she says tossing her phone on her bed. I stare at it suspiciously.

'No, I- I was just checking why you're taking so long.' She lifts her hand and I cringe away from her touch. She lets her hand fall and waves me out the door.

'Well if that is all, Aviana. I think it's best you go now.' She puts her hand in between my shoulder blades and lightly pushes me away from her door. It takes everything in me not to bend away from the unwanted touch. Before I could get another word in she shuts the door in my face.

I stared in shock at the closed door. 'But we were leaving together.' I mumble to myself.

I wipe my hand down my face and walk down the stairs and head out the door. I passed Arthur and he raised a questioning brow at me, I responded with a shrug and a shake of my head. 'I thought we were supposed to drop you off.' He says.

'You were.' I say and walk away from the house.

'Ana! How are you going to get home!?' he shouts as I continue to walk away.

'I'll walk!' I say not turning around.

'You live 3 miles away!' he shouts again. This time I don't answer him and keep walking.

When I was about halfway home my mind drifted back to Mister Mcdark- dark. The atmosphere around him seemed dangerous. The type of danger that made you want to run away screaming. It was unusual for me to think about a guy, Quinlan normally took them away eventually. I never imagined myself to meet someone and then intuitively know he'll be special.

When I first saw him, I knew he was unusual, but in a special kind of way.

My shoe gets stuck on a loose brick on the pavement and I stumble forward. My phone flies out of my pocket and my arms shoot out to catch my fall. My strong hand grabs my arm roughly and pulls me up before my face hits the ground. 'Now I don't want you on your knees just yet,' an amusing voice says to my right.

I glance up. Mister Mcdark- dark. 'I said I'll see you again, Birdie. Just never thought it'll be this soon.' He says with a smirk.

I roll my eyes and look down at the ground in search of my cell-phone. When I spot it I pick it up and inspect the new cracks and scratches on my screen. My dad was going to kill me.

'I'll be taking that.' He says and grabs the phone out of my hands.

'Give it back.' I say angrily. I try to reach for it, but he holds it high up in the air. I huff and fold my arms over my chest.

'What do you want?' I ask him.

'Nothing much, Birdie. Just enjoying your company.' He smiles smugly and pets me on my head as if I was his pet.

'Do not call me that and give me back my phone...please?' I say the last part hesitantly, not sure if he deserves my manners just yet.

'Or what?' he asks teasingly.

I dig my nails into my palms in annoyance. 'Or...or-' I blanked and just stood there glowering at him defeated. 'Just give it back please, if I lose it my dad would tie me up and ship me to an orphanage.'

'Don't joke about that.' He says suddenly serious. I frown but don't say anything.

'What are you doing back here? I thought you left.' I say. When I think he's distracted I grab my phone and clutch it to my chest in victory. He released a chuckle and shook his head at me.

'I'm meeting Quin.' He says calmly.

'What are your...relations with Quinlan?' I ask suspiciously.

'We fuck.'