012

october 2nd, 2019
7:14 pm

SWEAT DRIPPED DOWN JALEN'S FACE AS HE DRIBBLED THE BALL IN PLACE

Marcus Green, Jalen's stepfather, was standing in front of the basketball hoop in the backyard of their home, acting as a defender.

The two had been training ever since Jalen had gotten home from practice, running drills, playing one on one and practicing jump shots.

Every once in a while, the pressure from the public would mount itself on Jalen's shoulders causing mood swings and an intense and renewed need to prove himself.

Jalen dribbled behind his legs looking for an opening.

Marcus blinked and Jalen took the opportunity to rush at him.

Jalen ran at him, still dribbling the ball, turning his body skillfully to avoid Marcus's reach then drove the ball to the hoop and dunked it in.

Marcus chuckled, "That was good."

Jalen circled his finger, "Let's run it back."

"No, I need a break." Marcus responds, moving to sit on a chair placed by the glass patio table.

"Please, pops? I'm facing Dream City in almost a week, the coaches from Auburn and Gonzaga are gonna be coming and I need-."

"What you need is to take a five minute break." Marcus points to the chair next to him.

Jalen sighed but sat next to him, leaning all the way back into the chair.

"It's good to rest sometimes. Don't forget that."

"I don't want to rest. I want to be the best. I wanna continue to be the best." Jalen responds, leaning his head against the top of the chair so he could stare up at the darkening blue sky.

"Jalen!" Bree, Jalen's mother, strode from inside the house, Jalen's phone in her left hand.

"Your phone has been blowing up." Bree handed him his phone.

Jalen glanced at it before setting it, case first, down on the table, "Can we run it back now?"

"It's time for dinner, so no." Bree responded.

"You heard your mother." Marcus stood and gestured for Jalen to stand and follow him.

"I'd rather work on my jump shot. I'll eat later, I promise." Jalen pleads.