16

Shay Blackwell's POV:

I gulp and look away from his gaze, "About what?" I ask innocently.

He sits on the end of the bed and asks, "For one, who's Marie? And where did she go?"

I whip my head towards Eadlyn as I push myself up painfully. "You told him?" I ask her, shocked.

She shakes her head, "He saw her."

I sigh, "Look, you wouldn't understand. You'll think I'm crazy and I'm not. Just trust me, please."

"I'll understand, I promise. Just try me."

I sigh and tell him everything. When I finish, he doesn't look shocked at all. He just nods and smiles slightly, "I'm not alone."

I furrow my brows, "What?"

"I have abilities too. I always thought I was the only one. They aren't as cool as yours, I'm just really strong. But still, maybe there are more of us!"

More of us? He has abilities too? I let a breath escape, "I'm not crazy," I say, "And I'm not alone." I smile and he smiles back, both of us laughing.

As I laugh, I'm reminded of the pain in my stomach and wince before smiling, "I'm guessing your ability isn't as painful as mine is."

He nods sadly and hands me the first aid kit. "Yeah. I guess you kinda got unlucky with that one. It is pretty cool though, you have to admit. I mean, you can summon the dead, and give them life again so others can see and feel them too."

I shrug, "I guess so. I always thought of it as a curse. How you found me before," I start sadly, "That happened a lot when I was younger. See, some spirits are just plain mean. They sense when I'm weak and use it to scare me. Those kinds of spirits feed on fear, and they can get a ton out of me since I can actually see them. I also had lonely spirits come to me all the time just wanting to talk. It was alright, but it got overwhelming, there were so many. That's when Marie came and saved me. She started keeping them away from me. She's been a good friend."

I look behind him to Marie making funny gestures behind him. I stifle a laugh and Zack looks behind him then back at me, "What are you laughing at?" He asks frustrated.

"She's behind you." He practically jumps out of his skin. It just makes me laugh more as I lift up my shirt slightly to wrap my stomach. It's not as deep as it's been before. It'll heal nicely. I take the damp towel and wipe the blood away and wrap my torso.

"Can I see her?" He asks.

I nod and wince as Marie walks over to me. I form a life ball in my hand and stick it into her chest. She appears immediately and Zack looks like he has a mini heart attack.

"Hey," she waves.

He stutters, "H-hi."

I let go of the life ball in her and she disappears from their sight. "Sorry," I say, "It takes a lot of energy and I'm pretty exhausted."

He nods, "Right, I'll let you rest."

I finish bandaging my arm and get up to walk him out. When we get out into the dimly lit hallway I close the door behind me slightly and ask, "I really thought I was the only one, do you really think there might be others?"

He shrugs, not able to contain his smile at the thought, "I'm not sure, but if there's us, there has to be others, right? I'll have some of my men look into it. They're extremely good detectives."

I nod and I'm about to go back inside when he says, "I'm really happy, that I found you. It makes me feel...less alone."

I look into his eyes, we're only a few inches apart and I nod, smiling. "Yeah, I feel the same-"

He interrupts me by pressing his lips to mine. He pulls away, embarrassed, "Sor-"

It's my turn to interrupt interrupt him. I crash my lips into his and pull him closer to me. His lips fit perfectly into mine. After a few minutes, I pull away, smiling shyly, "I should go back in before Eady comes out. I'll se you in training tomorrow."

He licks his lips before shaking his head, "No. Take a day off, you should rest."

I glare at him, "I'm fine. I want to train."

He crosses his arms, "Well I'm the boss, so my word is law."

I smirk, "Is that right?" I turn around and go back inside without waiting for a response.

—————

I never got to finish my training...