Chapter Three: Explosive

Academy of Espionage; Ben's Dorm

Washington, DC

June 28th

0200 hours

Ben's POV

I was sleeping. That's all! Minding my own business. Yet I always seem to attract explosives, nuclear bombs, and terrorists. I don't know. 

Anyways, as I said, I was sleeping. I heard a tap next to my head, and before I could react, I was thrown against the wall, with a gun held to my head.

"Wha- who- HELP!" I stuttered. "Shut UP!" my intruder whisper-yelled. "You'll get me caught!" There was something familiar about this person voice. Oh- I'm so stupid! I was shocked to smell the wonderful smell of lilacs and gunpowder. 

"Erica?" I whispered. "Took you long enough," she snorted. I was confused. Why was Erica Hale in my room, holding a gun to my head? "What are you doing? Why are you about to kill me?" 

She rolled her eyes disdainfully at me and said, "I'm not about to kill you, idiot! I'm about to set off a bomb in the cafeteria. I'm saving you."

I stared at her. "You're holding a gun to my head. And you're not about to kill me?" I pointed out. She shrugged. "If you let out a peep about this, I will personally find you and-" I cut her off and finished her sentence. "-and kill me. I know the drill. But why, Erica? You were the best agent here!"

She glared bullets at me. "Shut up. I don't care what you have to say, I'm going to set the bomb off." She grabbed me by the wrist and slammed me into a chair, and then proceeded to handcuff me to the chair. "Ow! What was that for?" I whined.

"I'm going. Goodbye, Ripley." She pranced out of the room, into the night, looking as graceful as on past missions, but this time with a much more evil objective.

So I sat in my room, completely helpless to the fact that a bomb was about to explode in the cafeteria. I tried to pick the lock of my handcuffs, but with no luck. I'd been in here for the last 30 minutes. My last resort was to attempt to walk with the chair handcuffed to me. I stood up and-

"Ben! Are you okay?" Zoe Zibbell burst through the door, looking tired. "I'm fine, ummm." She stared at me. "What?" I avoided her gaze and finally gave in. "Erica set off the bomb," I mumbled.

"No way! The Ice Queen? No. Cyrus is gonna freak-" She was exasperated. But before she could finish, somebody ELSE ran into my room. Catherine Hale!

"Well, hello, Benjamin! I was thinking I'd get to see you, every time something big happens, you always seem to be in the middle of it, don't you?" I hung my head. "I didn't do anything, Erica charged in here and threatened me to shut up or she'd kill me!" 

Zoe looked at me. "Why'd you just tell us then?" Oh yeah... "She's gonna kill me now!" I panicked. Catherine retrieved her walkie-talkie and reported what I just said to her. "Erica Hale is the number one suspect, keep your eyes peeled!"

I was freaking out, Erica Hale would definitely find a way to hurt me. I sighed, exasperated.

Catherine perked up and said, "Benjamin, she isn't going to hurt you. I doubt she can out-think all the agents looking for her right now."  

I shook my head. "You'd be surprised."