Attempted Domestication

"What?"

Zuko rolled his eyes at the question, tail swishing irritably at the dry pines on the ground.

He watched as they unpacked their meager belongings, "I've studied you for 3 years, I know almost everything about you." He sat down heavily on the ground, "I know about the wind and the light and the Avatar State," he paused, "I'm no Avatar, but whatever happened back there wasn't normal. Even for me..."

The monk in question unrolled his sleeping bag, face still pensive, "I didn't know you knew about the Avatar State..."

Zuko scoffed, tightening his ponytail, "of course I knew, my job is to capture you after all."

None of them missed the present tense in the capturing of Aang.

"So..." the Water Tribe boy stretched out on his bedroll, groaning, "Katara? Dinner?" he grinned at his sister cheekily.

Zuko watched as Katara rolled her eyes and  began to unpack their satchel of food. He'd never really been near people his age before, besides Azula. People his age didn't like boys with sharp teeth and claws, or boys that got angry too easily and growled when startled.

"Hey, Sokka did you pack the spark rocks?" The Water Tribe girl frowned at the bag of vegetables and meat, frustratingly not showing any signs of the spark rocks.

"No worries," Zuko leaned forward, wings unfolding as he clicked his tongue, rainbow sparks dancing in front of his face. Yet another thing they to worry about.

"Uhm no thanks," Katara made a pinched face, "I'd rather not."

Sokka's stomach growled loudly, all eyes going to him, "actually, Katara, I'd like cooked food please."

Katara rolled her eyes, gesturing towards the small pile of logs, "fine, have at it dragon boy."

Zuko didn't flinch at the name, instead puffing his cheeks up and blowing a small lick of flame towards the logs almost smiling when it lit. He loved his element, "you're welcome."

He glanced up at Aang, "anyways, I need you to tell me how to get rid of these." He lifted his wings and tail, intense eyes boring into the smaller boy.

Aang chuckled nervously, rubbing the back of his head, "well, I'm not actually a fully realized Avatar yet...see I was frozen in an iceberg for one hundred years. I was just woken up a few weeks ago by those guys," the tattooed boy points a thumb at Sokka and Katara, the former now stirring a stew that was startling to warm.

"What!" Zuko stood, tail twitching irritably, "I knew I was looking for an old man and I know that you aren't an old man, but c'mon! You're not even fully realized?" He groaned, clutching his head, "then you're useless!"

"Hey," Aang sat down, defensive, "I'm not completely useless! I can teach you to meditate, maybe that can take care of your uh...uhh," his hands made a circular motion before he gave up with an embarrassed smile.

The Firenation boy thought heavily for a second, before he muttered a reply, "fine."

The kid's eyes lit up like Zuko had declared that they were best friends, "whoo!" The airbender pumped his fist in the air, a large gust of air supporting his jump.

"Don't get excited," Zuko hissed, "I only need your help so Zhao doesn't find my ass as soon as I'm back."

"Wait, Zhao?" Sokka pet Momo, smiling as the lemur chittered and purred, "is he that asshole with the sideburns?"

The firebender cringed at the thought of Zhao, scowl making itself known on his face.

"Open this thing up and face me, you coward!" Zuko roared, hoarsely. He pounded his clawed fists on the door, pissed.