Chapter 20

"When the rain falls again, all the memories of you I hid with effort all comes back."
On Rainy Days - BEAST

He doesn't cry, at all. Not a single tear had fallen since that dreadful day. His father would probably proud of him if he was still here. Earth still remembers the lesson his father taught him that day, burning through his memory.

He was seven years old. His father cleared his morning schedule to teach him how to drive the bike. Earth was extremely excited because he can spend time with his busy father. He woke up early that morning, eagerly eating his breakfast. He finished it before everyone else. So he obediently sat and waited for his parents to finish, smiling widely like the sun outside.

His father had helped him biking five times around the garden. On the sixth round, the King silently let go of his hand, allowing Earth to bike on his own. He did, for about 10 feet. Then, he lost his balance and fell down onto the ground. He scratched his knee during the fall. The pain was unbearable for a seven-year-old him. So he cried, wailing out his pain. In his mind, he thought his father would come and hug him, comfort him. But, he was wrong.
His father did nothing of that. Instead, the King calmly walked over. He sternly told Earth to stand up.

"A good King would not cry, showing his subject his weakness. He is bearing the weight of his citizens, he must be strong all the time. There is no time for weakness like crying. His citizens suffer much more hardships in life. As the Crown Prince, the future king, this mere wound is nothing to cry about. You have to learn to endure the pain, hide away your weakness even if you are in extreme pain, both physically and mentally. Now stand up!"

Despite the harsh words, the King reached out his hand and helped his son up. He dusted off the dirts on Earth's clothes. He then continued to help Earth on riding the bike. That night, in his half-asleep state, he saw his father came into his room. He felt his father put on ointment on his injury. Since that day, he never cried again. Not even once, until his brother got shot.

Today, at his father's funeral, he dutifully didn't cry. Honestly, he doesn't even know the reason. Is it because he took his father's words to heart or is it because his heart is in too much pain to even simply shed tears?

The whole ceremony blurry passed by in his mind. His father's coffin is almost covered with dirt. The sound of wailing surrounded him. His mother and brother are holding to each other, forgetting to wipe their own tears. Ohm is standing near his brother's side, not too close nor too far away. His face holds sadness and worries. Kao is by his side, his hand is on Earth's waist. He is thankful for that hand. He is not even sure if he can stand straight without its support.

His father died a painful death, killed by his own citizens who refused to accept him. That day, the airplane got hijacked by Lewisia's followers. It was planned. When the plane crashed into the forest, it took the Special Force rescue team an hour and a half to locate it. When they got there, the plane suddenly explored due to gas leak. The King's body was burned heavily. It took them some time to identify his corpse. Kao was the one who actually found the King's body among the crew members and Royal Guards.

His fiancé came back that night to personally delivered the news. Kao's face imprinted into his memory. It was filled with despair, frustration, and guilt. Kao kept apologizing to Earth for finding the King in that state. Kao did nothing wrong, but he still apologized, again and again.

Now, the said man is standing beside him, giving him the support he needed. Every time Earth looked at him, Kao still have the guilty look in his eyes. Earth had told him countless times that it was not his fault; yet, the man still feels guilty. Earth gives the hand on his waist a squeeze, telling his fiancé that he is ok.

They continue to stand by the grave a little longer. Each in their own thoughts, sending away their King, husband, and father. The covered coffin made them realized that this is reality. The person who had been in their lives is no longer in this world, but a memory in their hearts and minds.

Earth decided to get back to the Palace, he can't stand here a moment longer. He needs to get back to work, get back to his responsibilities to forget about all the pain and chaos in him. He signals to Mark to leave. His mother and Fluke seem to have the same ideas as him. They are also walking away slowly.

Earth and Kao are walking back to the car; but they were interrupted by Kao's father.

"Your Highness, may I have a word with my son, please?"

"But..." Before Kao can continue, Earth looks over at his fiancé and gives him a nod. "Alright! I will meet you later at the Palace. Get back safe!"

Kao reluctantly watches Earth leaves his side. He doesn't want to leave the man for even one second. Especially during this period. He fully understood how it felt to lost a loved one. He heaved a sigh and then follows his father to his car, parked among all the cars of the Royals who attended the funeral today.

When they fully sat in the car, safe from all the earshot. His father's face immediately changed from calm to anger. He completely throws away his political face. "Why the hell did you do that? It was not your goddam job to join the rescue team that day. You put us all at risk."

Kao could hear his father grinding his teeth due to rage. The man is trying hard not to yell at Kao, in fear someone might hear them.
"I just need to confirm with my own eyes that he is indeed dead, like the plan." Kao calmly answer, unlike his raging father beside him.

"You only have one job Kao, seduce that stupid Crown Prince. Because of you, we were almost got thrown out by him.  I have to beg him not to do that, since you are so close to the Prince now. I would have lost everything. Why can't you fucking think and follow my plan for a fucking second? You are just like your fucking mother who refused to trust me."

"Don't fucking mention my mother. If it is not for her, I wouldn't be here today helping you, father." This time, it is Kao who tried not to scream into his father's face. His hand curls into a fist, trying to control his emotion.

The staring contest between the father and son burns the car. Fire spits out of their eyes, neither one yielding. After an eternity of time, Kao's father decided to back down. He can't stay fix on a past action anymore, not when the plan is reaching its end.

"Don't impulsively act anymore in the future. Stay focus on the next step of the plan. We are almost there now."

Kao steps out of the car, getting away from his greedy father. "Just one more week, everything will end in one week.  You can do it Kao!" He mentally encourages himself. He only need to hold on a little longer.

Will he able to save them all, especially his heart?