Orphan

1 Week Later: 

         Dismissed from school for a while. Maddie brings me the work. So I am caught up with all my classes. The Stevens has been nothing but amazing. I love them so much for that. Today we are all going to clean my house out. Before the realtor puts it for sale. I slip on my shoes, walking across the street. I look down at the key, frowning. Mr. Stevens puts his hand on my shoulder "I'll do it honey" he puts his hand out. I hand him my house key.

He puts the house key in twisting the lock to unlock the house. I step in, frowning, looking around. Trying not to cry. Mrs. Stevens got a lot of boxes marking them 'keep' 'don't keep'. Maddie and Hunter helping me. I look at my mom's coffee cup starting to tear up a little. Mrs. Stevens smiles softly. "I will clean it, honey, and put it on paper, okay?"

I nod, handing it to her. Mr. Stevens in my dad's office, putting all his work papers in a box to take it back to my dad's job. I walk up to Lannie's room. Opening the door slowly. Remembering she was on the floor giggling, playing with her toys. 

       I can still hear her giggling. "sissy? You wanna play?" I take her little dresses and clothes out, folding it. Hugging them gently, putting them all in the 'don't keep' box. Another little girl would love to have them. Maddie walks in, smiling a little. "here let me help Cal. " I look over at her, putting the last piece of clothing in the box.

I go to put her toys and books in the boxes when a piece of paper falls out. I lean down to grab it, opening it. I see a picture of her, and I at the park. I cover my mouth, falling to the floor and crying. Pulling the picture to my heart. Oh Lannie, I am so sorry. I am sorry! Maddie frowns, leans down, rubbing my back, hugging me.

                  Mrs. Stevens walks in, frowning. Helping me up wiping my tears "I got you okay?" I nod my head. Putting the rest of my little sister's belongings in the box. I look at Mrs. Stevens. "I want these to go to good will. " She smiles at me. "of course, whatever you want, sweetheart. "

Going through my mom and dad's clothes. I just want them to go to good will. I see my mom's wedding dress. I smile a little at it. Remembering a memory still hearing my mom's voice, "honey you can't fit in that yet, you goofy. " I was only 12 when I tried to wear it. I close my eyes, taking a deep breath.

Mrs. Stevens smiles widely at me. "Do you wish to keep that?" I smile nodding "yes" She smiles giggling. Taking it, zipping up the dress cover. 

An Hour Later: 

      After taking the stuff down off my walls. Folding the last bit of my clothes in the boxes. I take my bed sheets off the bed. Sighing, folding them as I pack them up. I look at the now hallow room. Hearing my dads chuckle, remembering. When I first ever painted my room pink "Cal sweetheart, the aim is to put the paint on the walls. Not on yourself," I smile softly. Shutting the door behind me.

Hunter mowing the lawn. Maddie sweeping and moping the house. All the boxes in their rooms are all tapped up. Ready to take good will. I walk down the stairs slowly. Looking over at the brick fireplace.

Remembering last Christmas seeing the beautiful Christmas tree there. Lannie, Mom, and dad sitting around the fire. Drinking hot coco watching movies. My dad putting whip cream on my mom's nose. She gasps "Dalton! Get it off" Dad smirks "oh I'll get it off alright!" Mom laughs, hitting him with a pillow "no Dalton no" He laughs. Lannie smiles up at me. "daddy is getting coal. " I laugh. "a bucket of coal is more like it. "

      The house is now empty. Couches taken out the other day. Mrs. Stevens frowns. "You ready, sweetie?" I nod, taking one last glance. "Yeah." I look over my shoulder. "I love you guys. " tears run down my cheeks.

Locking the door behind me. Mr. Stevens' phone rings. "Hello?" A long pause. "yes this is he. " He looks over at me. "yes of course we will be right there. " he hangs ups. Looking over at us, "that was the lawyer they want to talk to Callie right now. "

We all get into the car. Driving to the Lawyer's office. I am so nervous. What if they say I have to be put in foster care? I don't want to be taken away. I want to stay where I am. We park the car. The lawyer greets us at the door smiling "welcome, welcome, come on in" 

         The Lawyer gestures for us to sit down, opening my parent's folder. Looking over at me frowning, "I am sorry you had to go through this. I am Mr. Hopkins. Your parent's lawyer," He points at a piece of paper "so this says in their will. That Callie is to get everything,"

Mr. Stevens goes into business mode "what about what happens to Callie?" Mr. Hopkins smiles, touching the piece of paper and looking down "ah yes Mr. and Mrs. Erickson will clearly states. That Callie will stay with a Mr. and Mrs. Stevens. I take it you're them?"

My face lights up. My parents actually put them in there?! They actually put Maddie's parents?! Mr. Hopkins smiles, hands Mr. and Mrs. Stevens each pen, "If you agree to take care of Ms. Callie Erickson. Until she graduates from college. Please sign" Mr. Hopkins points "here" 

      Mr. and Mrs. Stevens saying in unison, "we agree to take care of her," signing their names on the will. Mr. Hopkins smiles wide, putting the paper in the folder. Mr. Hopkins frowns "as for their remains. How do you want the funeral to be like?"

I frown, putting my head down. "cremation.." Mr. Hopkins writes it down. "No memorial or anything?" I shake my head. "not" I know I should. But I just can't bear to do it. He nods writing it down "okay we're all set" Mr. Stevens shakes Mr. Hopkins' hand "thank you Sir"

Mrs. Stevens gives me a huge hug. As we walk out of the lawyer's office. I slide into the car. Smiling widely. I get to stay where I want to be after all. Thank you mom and dad. You actually knew what I wanted. Thank you.