Emily's Talisman

Carmen's POV

I'd crawled into Stefan's bed during the night. I had trouble falling asleep. We just laid together talking about Lexi. Until I fell asleep. "Rise and shine!" Damon says loudly and we wake up. "You'll be late to school" he tells us offering Stefan a coffee.

"What are you doing?" Stefan asks him as I rub sleep from my eyes.

"Peace offering and yours is downstairs Carmen. Come on, you need it for blood circulation. Does dead flesh good" Damon tells Stefan. "All right. I'm sorry" he tells us as I get up to leave.

"Step aside, please" I tell him.

"I got the town off our back. It was for the greater good, but I'm sorry. And, to prove it, I'm not gonna feed on a human" he tells us. "For at least a week. I'll adopt a Stefan diet! Only nothing with feathers" he states.

"Good, see you at school" I tell Stefan and leave the room. I go to mine and got ready for the day. I then walk to school after having one of the pancakes Damon had made me.

(End of school day)

I was about to walk home when I see Jeremy feeding to the history classroom. "Hi Jer, where you going?" I ask as I fall into step with him.

"To see the new history teacher, Mr Saltzman" he tells me. "Want to tag along?" he asks me.

"Sure" I say shrugging. We enter the room to see a man in his early thirties having lunch at his desk. "Hi, you must be Mr Saltzman. I am Carmen Salvatore" I tell him smiling.

"Hey Mr. Saltzman, I'm Jeremy Gilbert. You wanted to see me?" Jer asks him.

"Salvatore? Any relation to the founders?" he asks me.

"Yes, I live in the Salvatore boarding house with my two brothers" I tell him. He nods his head and turns back to Jeremy.

"You know that your old teacher had a jackass file? No joke" he tells him showing him the folder. "It's typed on a label. It has all the troublemakers in it. But really it's just an opus-- to you" he explains. Jeremy looks worried. But Mr Saltzman throws the folder in the bin. "I'm not him. Clean slate. Now...let's talk about grades" he tells Jeremy.

"I know it's been a rough couple of months, but I've been trying to turn them around" Jeremy tells him.

"Yeah, I saw that. But, the problem is, we're halfway through a semester and half a fail is still pretty bleak" Mr Saltzman tells him. "How do you feel about extra credit?" he asks Jeremy.

"Yeah, yeah, totally! Whatever" Jer says nodding his head in agreement.

"Write a paper then. Pick a topic, keep it local, and no Wikipedia-regurgita. These old towns have a rich history, so just get your hands dirty, make it sing and your back on track. Deal?" Mr Saltzman asks him.

"Yeah deal" Jeremy tells him smiling. "That's a cool ring" he adds. I look at the ring and frown in confusion. It looks familiar, where had I seen it before?

"Oh, thanks. It was my father's. A little garish, but family, you know?" Mr Saltzman says. "You have a week" he adds.

"Great" Jer says and we leave. Just then Aiden appears. "See you later Carmen" Jeremy says before leaving.

"What did Gilbert want?" Aiden asks me confused.

"He introduced me to the new history teacher, have you got a new coach yet?" I ask him.

"Not yet, but they are interviewing people" he states. "What to star gaze tonight? It's suppose to be a clear sky" he tells me.

"Don't know, are you finally free from being grounded?" I ask him.