5.4. Joshua

I woke up too early for today. I'm excited for our monthsary. Today's simpler than the past months but this is definitely going to be special.

I reached for my phone to check the time and saw it flooded with notifications.

All of it has a link, I tapped on it and opened to this headline:
Hong Joshua of Seventeen is dating a guy, identity of the other is unknown

It's a picture of me.

I am afraid to read the comments. We have been hated for many reasons and what people are saying are far from nice.

I try to be a better person each day. I work hard to be a great artist, but people still find something bad to say about me.

As if I am not a human being.

I unconsciously scrolled down
'Wow. He's dating instead of training? No wonder he's the weakest member.'
'Gentle man. He isn't masculine at all.'
'A flirt. Eew.'
'I wonder who the other guy is. He better not be an idol too.'

The moment I read those comments, I cried. I cannot stop crying. Their words just pierced through my heart.

I am never enough. I will never be enough.

I checked my email to see if the company has requested for me.

I saw two emails with one intriguing subject
OPEN THIS IF YOU CARE ABOUT JEONGHAN

I marked it to move to spam folder. But I am curious as to why it mentioned Jeonghan. I unmarked them and opened it.

If this is a virus, good bye phone.

One email has no body and just attachments. This totally looks like a virus. But I still opened it.

First photo is two guys sitting on a bench. From the camera angle, only one face it visible. He's smiling at the the guy leaning on his shoulder.

Second photo is the same guy kissing the cheek of the guy who once leaned on his shoulder. The camera angle hit the guy's face clearly.

It's Jeonghan.

I froze. This is dangerous. Jeonghan doesn't need to be dragged into this. Who is doing this?

I opened the other email with the same subject.
'Hello. I'm such a good photographer, right? I'll be waiting for you at the xx cafe from 10 am to 3 pm. You're the only one I want to see, okay? See u xoxo.

P.S. If you decided not to come, you'll be seeing those pictures in the news tonight.'

Right after reading it, Jeonghan is calling me. I put my phone on silent. I can't decline it so I'd rather ignore the calls.

I readied myself to go the cafe. I'm gonna be meeting a heartless human I'll ever see.

I arrived at the cafe and the guy in camouflage hoodie waved at me. It's definitely him. Although I don't know how he recognized me when I am also wearing an oversized sweatshirt, a mask, cap and glasses.

I received a message from Jihoon that no one should go outside today so I disguised.

I sat on the chair in front of the camou guy.
"Hello. It's nice to see you in person. Though I always follow you, it's different when we're face-to-face. What do you want? It's on me." He took out the menu. A black coffee is already on the table.

"Who are you and what do you want?"
"Come on. Straight to the business, huh? Why don't we just have a little chat first? I heard you like strawberries, maybe a slice of strawberry shortcake?"
"No."
"Are you sure?"
"Can you please answer my question?"

He raised his hand to call the waiter. Now I can clearly see his face. He looks normal, but my instinct rejects the aura he emits.

"One slice of strawberry shortcake and capuccino. Thanks."

"I'm not eating that."
"I'm gonna be sad if you don't."
"Please, don't waste my time."
"Woah there. You're becoming rough. I love it."

Am I talking to a psychopath?

"I work for Dislatch. They call me Jay."
"Ah. That's why the photo is on the news."
"Yup. I sent it. My timing is great, right? Just right before your comeback stage."

I see. He wants money in exchange of the photos.

"How much do you want?"
"How much? Oh hun I ain't that cheap. If I was, I'm not going to treat you in this cafe."

The waiter delivered the food in our table.

"So what do you want me to do?"
"You know, sir gentleman, I have followed your group since debut. I'm going to say, I am a big fan. In fact, you are my bias. Aside from talent, you are one of the few idols who has a very similar personality on and off camera."

What is he saying? He wants my photocard?

"Don't get me wrong. I think your group members are kind, too. But you are the softest. I think that's why I'm obsessed with you."

So he wants me to sign the photocard?

"I'm obsessed with trying to expose you."

Ah. I think he just cannot believe that idols are human beings, too.

"You already did. I don't get why are we still having this conversation."
"Yeah, I did. But I haven't exposed your bad side. Come on, dating is not a bad thing, well for me. I just get money from exposing dating idols, but you know. What I want to see is the opposite of your gentle side."

Now what does he want?

"Do you want to see me be violent?"
"I want to see you naked."

Huh?

"Have you heard of the one night stand?"