Chapter Thirty-Six

36. This Just Got Awkward

Magdelena stayed on her own with James, keeping him away from the villagers and the other kids. Many welcomed her with nervousness but found she was a new person than the one they had wished dead when she had come to help them. She was always carrying James unless he was in the hut sleeping away his worries - like he currently was - leaving Magdelena to do some small chores around the hut that Hunith always seemed to have trouble fitting into her normal chores.

She heard the hushed whispers and turned to see four people entering the town, her smile was wide as she would recognize the magic from anywhere. She ran from the hut straight to the entrance where Hunith and Merlin had already embraced, "Maggie?" Merlin calls out seeing her running at him until she had tackled him to the floor, "Have you been here the entire time?" 

"No, it is a rather long and complicated story," she admits sadly, "Did Gaius tell you why I left?" 

"Yes," Merlin admits feeling magic coming from her which confused him, she gave him a small half-smirk at him, her eyes promising answers. She stands helping him but now faced with a glaring Arthur. 

"Hello Ar-Sire," she corrects herself, she had lost the right to refer to him as just his name, "You are injured would you-"

"Damn it Magdelena! We are not acting as if nothing has happened," Arthur snaps at her making her flinch at his harsh tone but she nods her head, "Where have you been then, if not here?"

"I stayed with the Druids mostly, I was in search of someone you see, but no one had seen her for months," Magdelena explains, "I found her eventually, and I came here. I planned to return to Camelot in a few year's time."

"A few years!?" Arthur yells growing angrier, "A few years how wonderful!" 

"It is complicated, I wish I could explain but I fear it would only confuse or make you angrier," she says staring at him sadly, "I am sorry for leaving you, I was hopeful that I would return within two days but unfortunately the person I was looking for was playing games."

"Maggie, James was crying when I passed so I thought I would bring him to you," a woman - Jill - who was never discontent with the fact James did some unexplainable things, usually followed by Magdelena ending them suddenly. She was married to a man and was from a faraway place, that had different views.

"Thank you, Jill," she says taking the crying baby who seemed to calm as soon as he was in her arms, "Merlin, this is your nephew, James." Merlin smiles moving closer to take the boy from her arms, he stayed calm at the transfer. Grabbing Merlin's finger as he looked up at him.

"James?" Arthur asks making her turn to him a little shyly, her cheeks tint pink. 

"Why are you all in Elador by the way?" Magdelena asks looking at the two of them carefully, "What happened?"

"I fear Camelot has been overtaken by Morgana," Arthur says making Magdelena frown in displeasure, "I am no longer a King."

"Oh don't you start that Sire," Magdelena snaps at him, he looks at her taken back, "Now is not the time to doubt yourself, now why don't we head into the house. I can look at any wounds that you have no doubt received."

Inside the hut, Magdelena looks at the woman who had been introduced to her as Isolde and her husband Tristian - whose name made her rather annoyed remembering the Druid who had been the Goddess. Once everyone was cared for, Hunith began to make some dinner, "Agravaine has found us." 

Magdelena scowled at the name turning to Hunith, "Can you want him for a moment? I will return," Hunith nods taking the baby after Magdelena kisses his head before going to walk out of the hut but she is shocked that Arthur grabs her arm.

"What do you think you are doing?" He asks shocked by her actions, "You are highly outnumbered and outmatched."

"I have a bone to pick with Agravaine," she says honestly, "You all need to leave and get to safety you have to reclaim the city." 

She pulls from his grasp and leaves the house walking from behind him, "That is enough," she says sternly, "Leave the townspeople alone." 

"Ah poor Maggie, the once future Queen of Camelot has now been unthroned by Morgana," Agravaine says smirking at her, "I should have guessed when you disappeared you came here." 

"You would be wrong as usual," she says glaring at him, "Glad to see you are just as stupid as when I left." 

Agravaine clenched his jaw glaring at her harshly going to raise a hand when he spotted movement, "There! Get them!" He turns to look at the girl once more with a harsh glare, "Your little talk has done nothing to save your precious King and brother."

"Are you sure that is actually them and not perhaps an illusion created by magic?" She asks staring at him with a raised eyebrow and smirk, "If you wish to waste your time, please chase after them." 

Agravaine hesitates but chases after them, her smirk stuck in his head as he races off. Magdelena turns back to the hut running inside once they were out of her sight, "I must go after them," she says bending down to James who looked at her with tears in his eyes. Hunith looked at her daughter, "Please stay safe, both of you."

"You don't worry about is Maggie, you focus on yourself, your brother, and that man of yours," Hunith says sternly making Magdelena smile before turning and racing out of the hut. Following the magic signature that Merlin always gave off, she wondered if he knew he did that or if it was just cause of who she had been and who she was.