Chapter 6 A Visit to Diagon Alley

Chapter 6

A Visit to Diagon Alley

While Aunt Becky prepared for our trip to Diagon Alley, I unpacked my belongings in my new bedroom with Tinker’s help. I absolutely adored this room. It’s at least twice the size of my old bedroom (which was also pretty big). The bed was covered with a red velvet comforter and above it, a sheer canopy. When I looked outside my window, I saw that there was a balcony. I felt like royalty here.

“Where should I put this, Miss Melanie?” Tinker asked holding up snake stuffed animal.

“Um,” I looked around. “Just throw it over there in the corner with the other dolls and stuffed animals.”

She did as I told. I began to feel a bit uncomfortable. I wonder if all wizard families had house elves to do chores.

“You know, Tinker, you don’t have to stay,” I said in a sigh, glancing around the room. “To tell you the truth I have no idea where I’m going to put everything.”

“Would you prefer Tinker organized your possessions for you while you and the mistress are away?” the elf asked as she gazed up at me waiting for an answer.

I put my hand on my head and looked at my packages of belongings. “No, that’s okay. I’ll figure it out later.”

Remembering that Aunt Becky was going to take me to this place called Diagon Alley, I shot up, told Tinker I will finish unpacking later, and rapidly rushed down stairs to see if Aunt Becky was ready. As I reentered the living room, I found her along with Uncle Richard standing by the fireplace.

“Are you going too, Uncle Richard?” I asked him.

“No, darling. I’m sorry, but I’m still a bit swamped in work,” he explained. “Don’t worry, I’ll go with you next time when you go to get your school supplies.”

I nodded and looked over to my aunt, apprehensively. “So how exactly are we going to get there? Is it another one of those porkeys?”

She smiled reassuringly. “No, sweetheart. This time we will travel by floo powder.”

She showed me this jar of shinny dust.

Gaping at this mysterious dust I asked, “So how does this stuff work?”

This time Uncle Richard answered. “When using floo powder for transportation, you grab a handful of it in your palm, stand in the fire place, state your destination, and then throw the powder down by your feet.”

“That’s all I have to do?” I demanded eagerly. “Cool! Can I try it now?”

I anxiously reached my hand towards the powder, when Aunt Becky lifted it out of reach saying, “Wait… wait.”

“Why? I think I understand how to do it!” I declared still reaching for the floo powder.

“Now, Melanie. You have to make sure you say Diagon Alley very, very clearly, or something could go wrong,” she explained.

“Okay, very clearly,” I repeated in a frustrated breath. “I got it!”

She still didn’t look convinced. “No, I think this time we should go together. Just to be safe.”

“Come on, Aunt Becky,” I pleaded looking to Uncle Richard for help. “I want to try.”

“I’m sure she can handle it, Rebecca,” he offered. “A lot of young witches and wizards do this with no sweat.”

But Aunt Becky would not yield. “We’ll just go together this first time so you can get a feel for how its done, and then next time, I promise I’ll let you go by yourself, okay?”