Chapter 10 Hogwarts Express

Chapter 10

Hogwarts Express

For the rest of the summer, I was sent back to my parents. This had to be the longest three weeks of my life. I couldn’t go see Dudley since now I know Harry Potter lives there as well. If he were to recognize me that would completely blow my whole pureblood cover.

Neither of my parents took the fact that I’m a witch very well at all. They both just treated me as though I were some sort of alien. To be honest, I could wait to get the bloody hell out of here.

I heard a knock on my bedroom door followed by my mother’s voice. “Melanie?”

“Yes.”

She opened the door and walked in. I noticed she held a letter. “I received this from your aunt. It says I’m supposed to take you to Kings Cross station and you are to board the Hogwart’s Express from Platform 9 ¾ at 11 am sharp.”

Glancing at the clock I pointed out, “We better leave soon.”

She nodded and turned around. Just as she was about to leave she turned her head back and looked me in the eyes. “Melanie, are you sure this is what you want? It’s not too late to change your mind.”

“Yes,” I nodded without hesitation. “I’m sure.”

She only sighed. Without another word, she nodded and slowing closed my room door, leaving me alone to finish packing.

As we prepared to leave, I bid Father one last farewell, knowing it was unlikely I will see either of my parents until next summer. The car ride to Kings Cross Station was completely silent. Neither my mother nor I seemed to know what to say to one another. Every few minutes I would turn my head to look at her, but no words ever escaped my mouth. I just sat in the passenger’s seat with my knees curled up against my chest.

When we arrived I noticed Platform 9 followed by Platform 10, but no 9 ¾. It did not seem to exist.

“Mum?” I looked up at her with concern. “Are you sure it said 9 ¾?”

“Yes, I’m positive,” she replied clearly pondering hard. “There was some way to get to it, but I just don’t remember exactly what. I only went with your aunt her first year and I was a few years young than her.”

“Perhaps we should ask someone that works here,” I suggested.

She shook her head abruptly. “No, no. Don’t do that! They would just think you’ve gone mental.”

“Then what am I suppose to do?” I demanded in frustration.

Mother just stood there, unable to provide a solution, but then we heard a disgusted voice, “Honestly, there should be a better way for students to get on the express without having to go through all these muggles, I swear.”

“Sounds like one of your friends,” Mother muttered bitterly. “Do you know them?”

I looked to see two grown woman followed by three little girls, two of them with luggage similar to mine. They must be Hogwarts students.

I told mother I will go with them and gave her a quick hug goodbye before rushing over to them.

“Excuse me,” I gasped rushing towards them. “Do you think you could tell me how to find Platform 9 ¾?”

“Hogwarts, dear?” asked one of the women without much of a smile.

I nodded.

“This must be your first year,” the other woman commented sounding a bit friendlier. “It’s both of our girls first year as well. This is my daughter, Daphne Greengrass, and this is her friend, Pansy Parkinson, and this is my younger daughter, Astoria. She’ll be attending Hogwarts in a couple years from now.”