Chapter Six

Two weeks Rockford High and Renae was adjusting quickly to the school regime. She had been taking private music lessons with Mr Grey and Miss Blane.

"Renae, you're getting better with the piano." Miss Blane said.

"Thank you." She responded. Renae wanted to learn the keyboard at first but decided to learn the piano, if she learnt it she would be able to play the keyboard as well. She was learning the two stepped piano with eight octaves each and she knew how to play a few classicals on piano. "Do you think I can learn how to play the clarinet?"

"One instrument at a time Miss Stephen, okay?" She responded. "Can you play this piece?" She asked handing Renae a score sheet. The score was divided into twelve parts

"Hmm, it seems complicated, I'll try." She said removing the other score she was playing and replaced it with the new one. She started playing. Quite simple she thought.

"Well done Renae." Miss Blane commented.

Renae got to a faster tempo of the piece and made a mistake—missed three notes. She stopped.

"Why'd you stop?"

"I made a mistake."

"It sounded beautiful, anyway I just wanted you to try it out, you should not be playing this at your level. I'm already very impressed that you got through the second part of the score." Miss Blane said.

"Thanks."

"You'll get there Renae. Why don't you continue with the other piece." She advised. "In the meantime, I have an errand to run."

After she left Renae brought out a piece of paper from her Jean's pocket, stood up from the piano and walked to the place where guitars were kept. She had learned the guitar when she was younger.

She started playing a tune she composed herself when someone walked in. "Where's Miss Blane?" Mr Grey asked. "She is run some errands." Renae answered.

"When she comes back, please inform her I went home early." He turns to leave.

"Okay." She continued playing and in no time started composing some lyrics:
    Hold on cause I'm letting go
    I'm gonna lasoo your heart like a rodeo
    You think that you're the only one
    Well let me tell you that you're wrong
    I see where you're leading me
    This is not destiny
    Been bottled away too long
    I'm powerful powerful
    You see what I'm getting at
    I'm ready for all of that
    If I'm not a star you're blind.

"Nice song." Someone said interrupting her

She jumped a little before she turned to see who it was.

"I'm sorry," he laughed a little " I didn't mean to startle you."

"You didn't startle me." She said.

"What song is that?" He asked" Who's the singer?"

"I composed it myself." She replied.

"You did?"

"Yes," she responded. "Is that hard to believe?" She asked.

"No, I was just surprised, that's all." He said. He had reached where she was "Can I see that?" He said reaching out for the guitar.

"Okay?" She said– more like a question– letting go.

He started playing a tune from a familiar song.

"I didn't take you for someone who could play a guitar." She said.

"Neither did I."

"You didn't know you could play?" She questioned.