Chapter Eleven

"I've been meaning to tell you... um... I" Micheal stuttered.

"What?" Renae said looking up from the papers she was reading.

"Vanessa brought back your book." He said as he opened his bag and brought out a black notepad.

"She did?" Excitement and anxiety was reflected on her face.  "What did she say?" She asked.

"She– uh..."

"Yeah?"

He remembered her words exactly The designs are too tacky "She said they were tacky." He said not restraining himself any longer.

"What?!" She said receiving the book. She was a little angry but that emotion was quickly replaced by disappointment. "I guess I should improve on my designs. Both in terms of creativity and proper representation on paper."

Micheal stared shockingly at Renae. This was the girl who could take on anything thrown her way. She had taken challenges even he would find difficult. She had set a record of academic excellence in the school upon arrival. She had taken the challenge to do various performances for the upcoming competition and probably done other things that he was unaware of, yet she looked so disappointed. Through the little time spent with her she seemed unbending and unafraid when she wants something. He had never seen her like this, he felt he  had to offer some words of comfort but could not find the words to say.

After about five seconds that all these thoughts flashed through his head he finally spoke out. "Don't mind what she said, I think those designs are great." He said with a smile.

She looked up at him and looked away almost immediately. "Yeah but you're not... uh... well, you know a professional in that field, she is."

It doesn't mean she's the judge, she's just one person and that's her opinion." He said "Also, she is sometimes full of herself." He reduced his voice to a whisper. He said but he had a look Renae didn't quite understand.

"I... uh... thought... y.. you're into her" Renae stammered.

"Me... What? No!" He said defensively. "Just take her comments as a driving force and keep improving till even she can't but acknowledge you.  You never can tell, she might even request your services badly in the future."

Renae pondered on his words for a few seconds before nodding her head. "I never took you for someone who could give motivational talks." She said jokingly but with some seriousness attached.

"I never took myself for that either. I guess– I've never had reason to comfort anyone before." He looked straight into her eyes as he spoke.

The two maintained this gaze for two seconds before Renae turned away and broke the two second silence that felt longer. "We should get back to playing. I made some adjustments –I mean Miss Blane mad--" she had yet to finish when Micheal interrupted her "I know it's your work Renae"

"Oh well, anyways adjustments have been made to the last section, so we'll need to rehearse."

"Sure."

"Oh and uh, thanks." Renae said suddenly.

"What for?"

"For your words of comfort, they were really helpful."

Micheal couldn't help but smile at Renae's words. He felt good that he could be of some help to her.

             ~              ~              ~

Renae, Genevieve and Stella were rehearsing in Stella's garage.

"It's been two weeks and we've virtually perfected the song, this is good." Genevieve said putting down the drumsticks she was holding. She lay on the two seater sofa and ate from a bag of potato chips.

"Who's texting you Renae?" Genevieve teased while eating the potato chips. "Is it Micheal?"

"Stop it, will you?" Stella said to Genevieve.

"Am right aren't I?" Genevieve retorted.

"He's texting about the second rendition." She opened the message and said while reading it. "I got to go." She picked up her bag and left.

"Renae." Stella called.

"We'll continue tomorrow, we're already quite proficient in our parts." Renae said before heading out the door of the garage into the house.

"Sure." Stella said more to herself than to Renae.

"Why don't we watch some TV upstairs." Genevieve suggested.

"Why don't you practice that drumroll you've been trying to get. Doing our best is our only chance of winning."

"Fine." Genevieve stood up from the sofa and went towards the drums

             ~              ~              ~

Clap! Clap! Clap! Miss Blane applauded Renae and Micheal. "Wow, you guys have actually learnt the two renditions. I'm impressed." Miss Blane praised.

"Thanks." Micheal replied.

Although Renae composed both of the renditions a few changes were made to accommodate the guitar as the original competition was a piano piece. She made most of these changes after consulting Micheal and Miss Blane.

"I got to go Miss Blane." Renae said as she picked up her backpack and started walking towards the door.

"Where to?" Miss Blane asked.

"I, Genevieve and Stella have a rehearsal scheduled and I'm late." She said just before she closed the door.

Miss Blane turned to Micheal for further explanation. "The other performance she's doing, she's been leaving immediately after practice for her other practice." He expatiated.

"Oh, that's true. She's such a committed and hard-working girl." Miss Blane said and went into her office.

"Yes she is." Micheal muttered to himself while he stared at the door.