Chapter Thirteen

Renae and Micheal had rendered their second piece and had gotten a standing ovation. A few more acts had gone on to perform after them.

Renae had gone to join the other contestants while Micheal remained with Miss Blane as there was a screen to watch the performances on.

"Next is the ‘Dream girls’." Renae and the rest of the group heard Geena announce from the television.

They got on stage and played their hearts out. Genevieve also finally got the drumroll she had been practicing and was feeling very satisfied.

After they had finished, they got a resounding uproar and a befeating round applause.

"Wow, that was an incredible performance by Dream girls." Geena said. Only after she spoke did the forty-five second long applause begin to die down.

Renae and the rest were exciting the stage.

"That was some applause." Genevieve said.

"Yes it was." Renae agreed.

"That's what you get when you practice hard and play slash try your best." Stella also chipped in.

Back on stage a few other acts performed after Dream Girls.

"Our last act for the day is Tom's art of singing, please welcome him."

              ~              ~              ~

"All acts have performed and it's time to announce the runners up and the winner. This time however, is going to be a little bit different from the other competitions this school has ever held." Geena announced.

"Yes, that's right. You must be wondering how are we going to choose the winner." Mark added.

"The judges will give each act a score ranging from one to ten, it could be one, five or even ten."

"And all of you will vote using the new app just updated to your school issued phones. The name of the app is called ‘The Voice Showcase’."

"All you need to do is to type your favorite act in the space as indicated and press post. It will be posted to a new school forum which has been linked to the app."

Each vote is one point. These points will then be added to the points awarded by the judges to each act." Geena said. "The vote is now open."

"While we're waiting, we have here with us a guest, Mr John Peters of Pete's Fashion; he's going to be showcasing his new fashion collection out next week." Mark spoke.

The spotlight shown down as John Peters came on stage from backstage and the whole place erupted in an applause.

"We're gonna leave the stage for Mr Peters and his models."

              ~              ~              ~

"I'm definitely gonna make sure I buy one of those, infact I'm gonna buy the entire collection. So ladies make sure to get some before it gets sold out." Geena said after she and Mark were back on stage.

"Thank you very much Mr Peters." Mark said as the applause died down.

"We also have another esteemed guest in our midst." Geena started after Mr Peters left the stage. "Mr Mike Cowell, owner of the Mico Record Label." She paused and let Mark continue.

"He's here with one of his artists who is going to be performing live right here on this stage."

The whole place erupted in a wild applause.

             ~              ~              ~

"And now the moment we've all been waiting for, the voting is over and the points have been cumulated." Geena began.

"It's time to announce the winner and the runners up." Mark continued.

"I have here with me the results and–" she was interrupted by Mark being called off the stage.

"Sorry, please excuse me, the principal wants to see me." Mark said for Geena's ears only and then left.

"Mark has been called out, so looks like I'll be doing the whole thing." She said. "As I was saying, I have the results here. Will all the acts come up on stage please." She held the envelope a little tighter.

People flooded the stage and lined up in an orderly manner like they had rehearsed it.

Geena opened the envelope and brought out a smaller envelope. "The third runner-up is." She said fiddling with the flap. "Rocksan." everyone applauded Rocksan as she stepped forward and collected an envelope from the Head judge and shook his hand.

"The second runner-up is." She paused. "Tasha Martins." She walked forward and was also handed an envelope.

"Now, we're getting closer to the winner. The first runner-up is"

"Our name hasn't been called yet." Genevieve said nervously.

"Maybe we didn't make it."

"C'mon girls, cross your fingers." The Dream girls discussed in hushed voices.

"This act is going home with a prize of three thousand dollars. And that act is Dream girls."

"That's us." The three girls chorused excitedly as they walked out and listened to the applause.

Good job." The judge said. "Who's collecting the envelope on your behalf?"

Genevieve and Stella pushed Renae out and she was handed the envelope. Next they all took a group photo with all the judges then went back to their line on the third row.

"The moment we've been waiting for. The winner of the Voice Showcase is." She paused as she brought out the card from the envelope in her hands. "Wow, this is nice."

"The act which will be going home with the prize of five thousand dollars is John and the fabulous four." Geena announced. A group of five boys stepped out as confetti rained down from above and filled the air.

An envelope was handed over to their lead singer and they took a group photo with the judges.

"We have a winner, yes we do." Geena said as the noise died down. "The show is now coming to an end, we'll..." She paused as someone came on stage and then called her attention. The person whispered something into Geena's ear as and left as quickly as she came.

"I have been informed that Mr Cowell wants to award an act here on the stage. He had decided this before the results were announced."

The back of the stage, which was occupied by the other acts as well as the top which were at the front erupted in conversations as they discussed the new development.

"We have a chance." A girl said to her group mates.

"Cross your fingers and whisper for luck."

"Please be me! Please be me!"

". . ."

". . . "

"He didn't come out the last time I called his name but he will be giving the award, whatever it is, as I don't know what it is, to that special act." She said. "Everyone join me with an applause in welcoming on stage Mr Cowell." everyone started clapping immediately she finished speaking.

Mr Cowell walked out from behind and came on stage. He was wearing a navy blue three-piece suit with a blue tie with polka dots, brown shoes, a white shirt. He had dark blond hair which was fairly long stopping at the nape of his neck and looked to be about forty years old. He had blue eyes, thin eyelashes and he also wore a ring on his right index finger.

The mic was given to him by Geena who gave leeway for him to speak.

"There are so many acts here, talented acts." He began. "But I can only choose one. Now that doesn't mean the rest of you are inferior, it's just that I received some added information about this act and decided to give them an award." He said.

"The act I am handing out a grand prize of ten thousand dollars." He said and paused, meanwhile hushed gasps were voiced. Ten thousand, that's a lot of money! "That act is Dream girls." He finally said.

Renae, Genevieve and Stella were shocked. They had already zeroed their minds to winning the prize, after all they were content with being the first runner-up and the three thousand dollar prize. But being recognized by an acclaimed record label owner, who didn't have to give an award or recognition to anyone and being handed ten thousand dollars, that was beyond their aspiration and their wildest imagination.

They stepped forward dumbfounded and received the envelope from Mr Cowell. "Congratulations." He said and then speaking in a voice for the three girls only he said. "Well done, keep it up and keep advancing, there might just be a spot for you in my record label." He said with a smile.

"Thanks sir." The girls chorused. They walked back to their place as people watched them with envy.