Chapter 6

“Sam! Sam, wake up!”

Am I dreaming? Why can I hear someone calling my name in my sleep?

“Sam, get your ass up now!”

I sat up quickly, feeling the blood rush to my head.

“What in the name of heavens are you doing sleeping on your desk?” Mrs. Hilda said, looking at me, “Didn’t you go home yesterday?”

I wiped of the drool stain on my cheek as I looked around me in daze. The sun was shining through the blinds on the window and I am still wearing the clothes from last night. Did I just sleep of in my office? Come to think of it, I can feel my neck hurting from the awkward position of being slumped on my desk.

“I think so,” I told her as I looked at the file on my desk. I was almost finished with my meeting minutes, leaving only the minutes for the meeting yesterday and I guess I must have dozed off without my realization. I’m such a weirdo.

“What made you do that?” Mrs. Hilda asked, “Look at you, better go and get changed or something. You’re still wearing yesterday’s clothes.”

“I have to finish the minutes first,” I said, but Mrs. Hilda pushed my hand away from the computer mouse.

“First things first; you need to go and freshen up,” she said but I shook my head.

“I will complete this before I do anything else,” I said as she shook her head and left me to do my things. I typed quickly and compiled all of the papers together and headed to the Lion’s office. Better get these to him before freshening myself up. I knocked on his door and walked in, placing the pile of paper on his table as he looked up at me, “I’m done with this.”

He looked at the paper on the table and back at me. I also noticed his eyes travel down to my outfit – he probably realized that I never went home last night. I didn’t care about what he thinks as long as he doesn’t pile more work onto my table.

“Just leave it there,” he said as he continued his work. I wanted to take the pile of paper and hit his head with it, but thought otherwise. I don’t want to lose my job anyways. I turned and walked away and just as my hand reached the doorknob, he cleared his throat.

“Could you get me a cup of coffee please?” I stopped in mid turn of the knob. Do I still look like his secretary? “I just need two spoons of sugar.”

I turned to look at him, but he ignored me. Stupid man, I thought as I stomped out of his office grudgingly.Just because he had asked for two spoons of sugar, I can’t sabotage his drink. Why did he think I am his victim? I made his coffee and brought it to his room, placing it on his table without saying a word to him and heading to the washroom to clean my face up. Thankfully I had an extra toothbrush in my drawer, which means that I can actually brush my teeth at work. Showering can just wait until I get back. On the way back to my office I met Sammy who grinned happily when he saw me.

“Hamster!” he called out to me as I whirled around to look at him, “I didn’t see you on Friday. Where’d you go?”

“Oh, just took a day off to visit my parents,” I lied. I don’t need others to know that I went on that dreaded cruise. I’m almost forgetting it myself.

“It’s no wonder I didn’t see you,” he said following me into my office.

“Weren’t you around yesterday?” I asked him.

“No, I had errands to do so I didn’t have time to come up here,” he replied, as I sat back on my chair.

“So how’s things with Olivia,” I prodded when he kept silent and looked out my window. I know he’s been having a huge crush on one of the company’s receptionist. She was the typical beauty – petite, slim, long haired and perky.