Chapter 20

I didn’t see the Lion at all on Monday and although I did say I wanted to move on from him, that didn’t stop me from missing him. What a wreck that little Lion had made me become. I was cool and detached for all these years and he had to come around and break the calm around me.

                    I knew he was coming back on Tuesday and I was raring to see him. Truth be told, I haven’t gone more than three days without seeing, arguing or just talking to him that this week felt like an eternity of loneliness. I left my office door open in hopes that I could catch a glimpse of him when he walks past to go to his office. I hoped – deep down inside of me – that he’d turn and wave at me, or even come and talk to me like he always does when he’s not in a foul mood. Why does he have to be moody all of a sudden?

                    I have a heavy feeling it has something to do with our drunken kiss. Did he remember about it and regretted his action? Maybe he couldn’t stop his itchy hands, or lips, but his brains knew it was wrong to have an affair with his subordinate. This is stupid, Sam. I got off from my chair and went to close my door. I need to get my head straight once again and be that rational, sensible girl I’ve always been.

                    As I pushed the door close, Ryan passed by. He stopped for just a second as I paused in midst of closing the door as our eyes met. All my rationality and sensibility ran out the door the moment I looked into those green eyes. They look so welcoming and all I wanted to do was to pull him close and never let him go. Will I ever be able to let go of you? God, please give me strength.

                    “Hi,” he said attempting a half smile.

                    “Hi,” I replied, not even attempting to smile. I felt my heart crack, but I managed to control my emotions.

                    “How was your weekend?” he asked.    

                    “It was okay,” I replied, shrugging, “How was yours?”

                    “So so,” he answered, “Did you go back to Ramses?”

                    “Yeah,” I said, “Hung out with my family, helped and old lady cross a road, had lunch with a stranger.”

                    “Oh,” he said, his eyes clouding over, “See you around.”

                    I nodded my head and closed the door, traipsing back to my desk weakly. I need chocolate. I should but some when I get home. I checked my emails, scrolling through each and every one of it, nothing interesting. I turned on my web browser and typed in my Facebook account – well, not many notifications, two friend requests from my high school friends. I have already deleted my four best friends’ accounts from my Facebook. There was no need for me to be friends with fake people. There was nothing interesting that I could find on Facebook, so I just updated my status to: ‘Exhausted…”

As I bent down my desk to retrieve some documents on the lowest drawer of my table, I heard my office door open. I sat up to see who it was and I screamed in joy – it was Leah! She screamed as I got up and she hugged me, both of us jumping. My colleagues looked at us weirdly as I cried out to them that she’s my sister.

                    “What are you doing here?” I asked her as she let go of me.

                    “What do you mean what am I doing here?” she asked, “I’m back – for good!”

                    “I know that,” I said as I guided her to seat on the chair opposite my table, “but mom said you won’t be back till Friday.”