Chapter 21

Leah went back to her hotel to check out after work and followed me back to my apartment. The lion had reminded us again about dinner tonight and I had to smile and act like everything was normal – and it was making my head hurt. It hurt so much that when I got back that evening I had a really horrible migraine that I didn’t feel like going out for dinner with the both of them. I told Leah how I felt and she said that it was fine – that she could just discuss about business with Ryan on her own. I bet she was actually relieved that I am not tagging along.

                    I gave her the spare key that I kept in a drawer so that she can let herself in when she gets back. I watched her bound off with a heavy heart, afraid of the both of them realizing their feelings for each other and getting together. A few minutes after Leah went down, my phone rang – the Lion!

                    “Hello,” I answered weakly. Hopefully he hears my voice and realizes that I am indeed not feeling well. I actually told Leah that I might be coming down with a horrible headache, and to tell the Lion the same thing. I hope he’s not calling to force me to come.

                    “Why aren’t you joining us?” he demanded as I winced. I would love to join if you and my sister didn’t have a history together.

                    “Didn’t Leah tell you I have migraine?” I said back, my tone a little haughty.

                    “You looked fine in the evening,” he said. Is he trying to make this difficult for me?

                    “I had it on the way back,” I said, “I just need an aspirin and I’ll feel better.”

                    “So, take an aspirin and come down with us!”

                    “Ryan!” I cried out incredulously, “Aspirin makes me drowsy.”

                    “We’re supposed to discuss business,” he said in a clipped tone as I groaned.

                    “Can’t you discuss with her first?” I said, “Or just have dinner together and we’ll discuss business tomorrow. After all you guys have a lot of catching up to do.”

                    I couldn’t keep the contempt out of my voice when I said the last statement. I realized that it is entirely his fault. Either he has a girlfriend or he’s still hung up on Leah, but he still led me on and made me fall for him. In the end, I’m the one hurt while he rekindles his love.

                    “You’re being difficult, Sam,” he said softly as I felt a tear trickle down my cheek.

                    “No, I’m not,” I said, taking a deep breath. He must not know I’m crying, “I’m really not feeling well, Ryan. Could we please just discuss this tomorrow?”

                    “Okay, fine,” he said and I could hear the anger from his tone, “You asked for it.”

                    I didn’t ask for anything like this to happen.

                    “Goodnight, Mr. Lucas,” I said as he hung up the phone. I looked at my phone to see a text message from Leah.

                    ‘Is your boss angry with you? When I told him you’re not coming, he got out of the car angrily and called you. Sorry about that.’

                    I replied to her, ‘no, everything’s cool. I’ll see you when you get back. Enjoy.’

                    Taking a long step I took an aspirin from the medicine cabinet, poured myself a glass of water and downed the medicine in one gulp. After a quick shower, I jumped into bed, my thoughts once again jumbled up with the Lion. Somewhere in the night I heard Leah get back and her muffled voice called my name but I was too drowsy to answer.