Chapter 24

I was a mix of anxiety, nervousness and excited on the day of the book launch party. I woke up early to get to the Hilton Hotel to make sure everything was in place for the launch. Leah didn’t stay over that night with me as she stayed with Cassie – I don’t mind really, since the talk we had the other night. She was being a bit aloof with me, and so was Ryan. It’s like the both of them made a pact not to speak to me, when in fact I know that’s not the truth. It hurts and I don’t know what to do about it.

                I was surprised to see Ryan already at the hotel too, and his eyes rounded in surprise when he saw me. I waved awkwardly at him as he smiled slightly and nodded his head at me. Well, that’s a start. At least he’s no longer just glaring at me. I don’t know what’s wrong with him and how I wish I could actually read his mind so that I can behave the way he wants and we can be close as before.

                I briefed Olivia and Kayla as they arrived on their duties. Their job was easy, it was just to greet everyone that enters and hand the door gifts to them.

                “Remember that our big bosses will arrive too,” I warned them, “I hope you remember their faces and make sure to put on a big smile when they come.”

                “Yes, Sam,” Olivia said, nodding her head fervently. I turned around when I heard Ryan call my name. He seemed to be talking on the phone, but his hand beckoned me.

                “Yes, ma’am,” he said on the phone, “Everything’s in place – just awaiting your arrival. I think I saw Holly enter… yes… yes… of course… I will do that… thank you… see you.”

                My mom, he mouthed as I nodded my head in understanding. By now there was already a crowd in the ballroom. Our colleagues were ushering people to their places.

                “She wanted me to make sure that Holly Stone was sitting in her table too,” he said as I nodded my head.

                “You’ve told me that previously and I’ve already made the arrangements,” I said as he nodded his head, listening, “I’ve moved Mr. Troy Gerard to the other table so that Holly could sit in your table.”

                “Good,” he said, “Mother doesn’t want Mr. Gerard in the same table.”

                He raised his eyebrows as if I should know how demanding his mother is. I definitely know what a tyrant that woman is, and frankly I’m a little afraid of seeing her today. Hopefully she wouldn’t pay any attention to me.

                “I’m going to go and look for the caterers to see if everything’s okay,” I told him as he nodded his head.

                “I’ll look for my cousin,” he said as I nodded my head and left him. Everyone was rushing around being busy. I could barely take everything in as I focused on looking for Mr. Peters. I found him and he beamed when I told him who I was. Thankfully he wasn’t annoyed by my tone when I called him two days back.

                “Everything’s set, Ms. Layton!” he said as I nodded my head and smiled at him, “You don’t have anything to worry about – let me do all the worrying.”

                “Thank you, Mr. Peters,” I said, patting his arm as I turned to leave. Now, I’ll just have to worry that the emcee will be here. Where is he? People are starting to get restless – although I know that he needn’t be on stage until the bosses arrive, but still…

                “Sam!” I whirled on my feet again, summoned by the lion.

                “I wanted you to meet my cousin,” he said as I looked around. I don’t see anyone that looks like him.