Chapter 2: Mistakes

It's been 2 years for me, staying here in Outpost III. It's getting worst though. The foods we've been consuming are getting cut off for now because there are no foodstuffs that have been got from the outside.

"Miss Venable, is there something we can do about it? I mean- we're not just standing here. We can help" I suggest.

I'm standing with The Grays on the back of The Purple, eating their lunch with Ms. Venable. She glares at me.

"You're suggesting that you and all of these people might help me? Look at them" she speaks sarcastically while holding a glass. They look afraid also Coco too. She avoids making eye contact with me. I take a glance at Miss Venable. She's drinking her water then she speaks again while staring at me.

"Your opinion doesn't consider to be one of the practical ways to survive" she stands. I bend my head down by the embarrassment and feel Ms. Mead's shoulder lean on my arm.

"You should stop saying ridiculous suggestion to Ms. Venable before she makes you regret it" she mumbles then give me a warning look. I look to Ms. Venable. She was just...smiling.

It was mistaken.

"You can leave now" her last words. We the Grays, remain here to clean their dishes. I was crazy to think that she will listen to me. She's too proud of being like that.

A snob and narcissistic.

After that, I begin to find the book where I kept my sketch hidden but I can't find it anymore. However, the book is in its places but the sketch is not. It's missing. I feel my sweat falling on my chin. I'm sweating like I take a 1-hour session with Gym instructor because of the apprehension I have right now.

I shouldn't do it. I shouldn't draw her face.

How could someone found it when I didn't even let anyone sees it?

Gosh. It's all my fault that I'm getting caught right now.

Then I hear tap noises.

This is the wrong timing.

I wipe my sweat on my forehead. Inhale for a second. She wouldn't notice it, that I'm hiding something if I keep behaving normally. I sit on the couch, pretend that I'm reading. I'm not good at pretending but I will make an effort, just to make sure she won't notice. The last tap noise ends here, in the library.

"You should talk to them. It's your free time, right? You're not alone" she speaks. I'm getting panic right now but I notice something.

Her question, it sounds like she's concerned about me.

Is she?

"It's okay, Ms. Venable. I want to spend my time here. Finding...a book that might have a wonderful story" I answer without looking at her.

She would notice that I'm nervous because of my hands. It's shuddering while holding the book. I want to groan because of this but I can't. It takes a minute to pretend that I'm reading until I notice that she's not here anymore.

I feel so relieved that I breathe out for a second and lay the book on the table.

"Ahh...that was close" I let out myself and chuckles.

"What's close, (Y/N)?" I startle when I hear her voice. I look around. She was standing there, on the back of the couch.

I thought she'd left me here. I was ridiculous to believe she does. It took me 30 seconds to realize that it was real that she's here with me. Her cane taps on the floor again and I come back to normal. I look at the table. Averting to make eye contact with her.

"Umm...I was close to ending the book that I've been reading this week" I stutter. She certainly noticed how uncomfortable I am when she revealed herself up on the back of the couch. I glimpse at her. She was staring at me like she notices that I'm denying something.

"Ok. I thought you're doing something...obscure" she states.

Crap.

I stand and put it back to its places.

She's really messing up with me.

After that, I pardoned myself telling her that I need to use the bathroom and she approves it. I walk fast just to escape the library where Ms. Venable caught me doing something suspicious.

Before I reached the doorknob of my room, Coco grips my hand causes me to stop walking. I look at her, confuse.

"Are you busy this day? You didn't even show up to lounge lately" she asks, wanting to know my disappearance lately. I put off her hand on me.

"I was in the library again. Just reading some books. Why? Is there something I can do for you tomorrow, Coco?" I excuse and she nods. She wanted me to fix her nails.

This is the task of Grays, to do services for Purples.

Finally, I escaped from the shame I had in the Library with Ms. Venable. Her reaction gives me a shiver lately.

I let my body fall into the bed and take a deep breath for a moment. I feel relaxed because I can't see Ms. Venable and Ms. Mead with my embarrassment I did lately. I was close to falling sleep but someone just knocks on my door. I rub my eyes before I opened the door. It was Ms. Mead.

"Good evening, Ms. Mead" I greet. She gives me a look of confusion. What's wrong with my regards, Ms. Mead?

"Get ready for tomorrow. You will be joining us to go outside for hunting" she informs. I nod even I don't understand why I am joining them. She looks at me again but in an indication look.

"Don't make Ms. Venable disappoint on you because of that suggestion you gave her in the dining room lately" then gives me a head to toe look. Ok, now I get it.

"You're naive" her last expression before she left. I shut the door immediately and lie on the bed again. I sigh. Tomorrow will not be the same every day.

I will not make you disappoint, Ms. Venable.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Author's Note:

Wait for another chapter to continue. Thank you for reading this. I hope y'all appreciate my story. (^ ^)