Chapter 23

"Aurora, honey, can you proofread this code for me?" Kailee tells me, passing me a handwritten note filled with scribbles.

"No problem, Kailee," I tell her. Technically, she's supposed to be my boss here, but practically, we consider each other friends.

I finish up her code and work on my program until the clock announces it's time to leave. The moment I exit, I see Jay waiting outside the ITD.

"Whoa, hey there, what brings you here?" I say.

He grins at me. "It's a beautiful Monday afternoon, thought I'd take my girl out or something."

That does not sound like the Jay I know. "You never call weekdays beautiful. Are you sick or something?"

"Way to ruin the fun, Aurora. Alright, it's nothing superb, but they're bringing something special to the gardens and it will be available for the public tomorrow so I thought: my girl and I can enjoy it today in private."

"Aww, that sounds amazing, Jay!"

"Of course it does. All my ideas are amazing."

And so we leave towards his car in the garage. During the whole trip, he steers with one hand and holds my hand with the other.

When we arrive, the unmistakable beauty of the flowers and the trees catches my eyes. A thousand hues of pink blended with orange and yellow and green.

"I think this is my favorite place in the universe," I tell him.

"It's about to get better," he says with a mischievous smile.

At first, I don't notice anything different, but then a flash of color appears beside a bush. When I approach it, I notice it's an animal of sorts.

It's a beautiful, small creature with papery wings painted with an articulate pattern, one of nature's masterpieces on such a delicate canvas.

"What's that?" I ask Jay.

He beams. "That's my surprise. They're called butterflies."

"How pretty," I reply. "Why are they called butterflies?"

"Honestly, I have no clue," he replies.

"Jay, they're so beautiful!"

"I knew you'll like them. Wanna make it land on your finger?"

I smile. "Yeah, sure."

"Alright. Give me your hand." I give him my hand and he lathers it with sticky, delicious honey. "Now extend it."

I do as he says and wait. A gorgeous purple butterfly adorned with white spots lands over my fingers.

"Oh my God! Jay, look!"

He laughs at my childish glee. "Yeah, beautiful."

"I love this, Jay, thank you." I kiss him on the cheek.

"Me too," he whispers.

"What?" I ask, staring at my butterfly.

"Um, the butterflies. I love them, too. They're my favorite thing about the gardens. Once a month, the National Wildlife Federation releases a bunch of those into the public park."

"I wish we had those on the moon."

"Thank God you don't, so I could impress you with them here."

I kiss his cheek, wrapping my arms around him. "You're the best."

"Only for you, Aurora."

I run after a pink butterfly and Jay laughs at my juvenile attempt to catch it. This is what flying feels like because I'm certain I'm on a cloud right now. Maybe I'm dreaming of this joy radiating within me. The butterfly rests on my finger for a moment but a flare of light scares it away.